What's the quickest you've gone from grain to glass?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bopper

Reaction score
Just curious what the quickest you've gone from grain to glass with a low ABV session beer and had good results. It seems to me that the minimum is probably about 10 days which would work for a mild or something like BM's centennial blond (albeit, they will still be pretty green)

Anyone ever shoot for less than 10 days?

I made a mild last Sunday (3/8) and know that I'm going to float my blond ale tonight (I always have two beers on tap - one session and one higher abv or stout) and the mild is the next session beer that will be ready (home renovations got in the way of my brewing schedule - CURSES!). At this point, the krausen has fallen completely and has been for 3 days so I'm thinking of putting it on gas this Saturday (tomorrow). I know it will be green but I might hook it up anyways and have a pint or two. I'll save most of it for drinking after the 3 week mark.

So, what's the quickest you've ever gone from grain to glass with good results?

For me, it's not really worth rushing it and the quickest I've probably gone is about a month. It just gets better after 4-6 weeks of waiting so I figure why rush.

For me, it's not really worth rushing it and the quickest I've probably gone is about a month. It just gets better after 4-6 weeks of waiting so I figure why rush.

While I agree with you, it's really style and recipe dependent. Milds and other low ABV session beers should be served at the peak of freshness, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with packaging at 14 days.

30 days is a standard time in the fermenter for me, but a mild is very much an exception to my rule.

I totally agree. I usually have a good size pipeline going so this is never a problem. In fact, my beer typically is in primary for 1 month and then conditioning for another month or more depending on style. I never secondary unless I'm dryhopping, adding oak, fruit or other adjuncts.

However, the pipeline is in pretty bad shape because I've spent every weekend lately renovating my bathroom.

I know that drinking at 10 days (or less) is really pushing it (and usually just a "waste" of good HB).
More than likely, I'll hook it up and draw one pint (maybe 2 if its tolerable). I'll then save the rest to begin drinking in a few weeks. This thread is more our of curiosity than anything...

While I agree with you, it's really style dependent. Milds and other low ABV session beers should be served at the peak of freshness, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with packaging at 14 days.

+1 on the style dependant thing. I brew exclusively bitter at the moment (Supposed to be drank young). I'm finding it a bit hard to break away from "The rules" that say at the very least 1-2-3. I'm getting there, and have had excellent pints that have had less than three weeks in the fermenter and just one week in the bottle....One week in the bottle isn't ideal, but for the low carbed style it is still very good.

So, 4 weeks for me, and working on getting that down a bit.

I keg and have have a blonde ale that went from brew pot to keg in 13 days. I forced carbed a 2 liter bottle and drank it that night. I was drinking off the keg a couple of days later and it is GOOD stuff. That keg is almost gone and I am about to brew an 8 gallon batch of it again.

That is a PM smash recipe. I don't think it would work if there were more flavor components.

My stuff spends a month in the primary, period. Then a month in the bottle. Period.

But I have gone from grain to glass in as little as 16 days for a small amber beer. It was ok.

9 days. I did a watermelon wheat for a party once, it actually turned out great.

Mine usually go primary 14 days, secondary another 14-21, keg after that. I'll leave it conditioning in a keg and taste periodically before I put gas on.

I have one on tap now that is about 17 days old, Poured the first glass at about 12 days. It was good, but from experience with this recipe, a week in the fridge makes it much better.

My house blonde has gone from grain to glass in 10 days.

Last fall my wife told me that I needed a beer for the BMC crowd at our Oktoberfest. I created the recipe, brewed, kegged, and carbonated in less than 2 weeks.

It was very good for a "green" beer.

i once did a Koelsch from kettle to first place gold in 27 days! Normally I would not rush any beer and six weeks to two months would be typical for most of my ales. Lagers go to three months. I rushed the Koelsch to meet a competition deadline.

3 weeks is my fastest turn around, but I always have something on hand so I don't rush often.

I always primary for 13 days, then bottle. I sample at 10 days or so later but I've found that 3 weeks in the bottle is just right to start drinking.

Latest posts

Back