What's the preferred method of capping Better Bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwic

Reaction score
I have a couple 5 gal. glass carboys; I was thinking of switching to Better Bottles and instead of the - what is it? - 1.25" hose for blow-off use a carboy cap with a smaller blow-off hose (.5"?).

I am on Austin Homebrew and it says that the carboy caps do fit plastic carboys. So, what do people do, just stick with using the bigger hose directly in the opening of the Better Bottle? Does it fit snugly/airtight?

Cheers,
JWiC

I go with the orange carboy cap for all my better bottles and love them. For a blow off tube I use 1/2 inch Silicone tube. The 1/2 inch tubing fits over the large center hole in the cap. After initial fermentation is over I switch from the tube to an airlock.

Hope that helps some
Chromados

Sure does! Thanks!

Why then do you think AHB says that they don't fit? The cap is airtight on the Better Bottle?

I ferment 5 gallon batches in the 6.5 gallon Better Bottles, and use a rubber stopper and airlock. I have only had the krausen reach the airlock a few times.

Sure does! Thanks!

Why then do you think AHB says that they don't fit? The cap is airtight on the Better Bottle?

I have no idea why they say that they do not fit on better bottles. I do have one that does not have a complete seal so I solved that by throwing a zip tie around it and now its air tight. I also love the orange carboy caps as I use one on my siphon. Its awesome not having to hold the racking cane.

Chromados

Back