What's the inspiration behind the names of your beers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewtopia

"Greenwood Aged Beer"
Reaction score
Hello,
I thought this might be a fun topic for discussion/sharing. What is the inspiration behind the names of your beers and/or brewery? I am a huge film buff and a fan of Film Noir and classic films of the 30's and 40's in particular, so I usually pick names inspired by films of that era. For example, I call my home brewery Naked City Brewing Company after the great 1948 Jules Dassin Film Noir "Naked City" starring Barry Fitzgerald and Howard Duff. Examples of beer names are listed below:

Films
Dubbel Indemnity Belgian Style Dubbel
Gilda Flanders Style Red
Casablanca Belgian Style Wit
White Heat Imperial Wit
Brigadoon Scotch Ale
Impact IPA
Hopacalypse Now Imperial IPA
Open City Alt

Actors
Bing (Bing Crosby) Spiced Cherry Dubbel
Ginger (Ginger Rogers) Ginger Peach Hefeweizen
Edmund Gwenn Grand Cru
Bogart Barley Wine
Cagney Imperial Red
Edward G. Robinson Baltic Porter
George Raft Oak Aged Imperial Stout

And one of my favorites is this year's winter ale
I want a legendary official Red Ryder 200-Shot Carbine Action Range Model Air Rifle with a compass and this thing which tells time built right into the stock. "You'll shoot your eye out" Winter Ale (Red Ryder Winter Ale for short).

I hope to post some of my tap handle designs on the label forum soon. Looking forward to hearing what others have to say about how they come up with their beer names.

I'm actually kegging it. I created the tap label and it fits. I'll try and post it soon.

I think this is one of the the subjects that deserve another go round even though we've talked about it before. It never gets old.

My brewery is named after my favorite book, Dune. the rest of the names come from various sources. My cider is named after the old joke Dickens cider. (say it aloud if you don't get it.) Know Ale is named on several different levels. It's a christmas beer Noel, for those that know Ale and those that Know L. My name is Lance, with a nickname of L.

Here's the Red Ryder tap handle label

Red Ryder Tap.jpeg

I name all my brews after places within my community, such as hills, ponds, paths, local history, etc.
I have a ale I name 3 bells 1892 after a ship that traded between Barbados and Heart's Delight in the late 1800s.

I am a Telecom Guru and have been doing Voice and Data Communications for 30 years.

Touch Tone Brewery was a natural.

badhabitbrownlabelni5.jpg

Cheers,

knewshound

Latest posts

Back