whats the highest final gravity you've ever brewed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bdupree

Reaction score
I just finished a milk chocolate stout. Starting gravity was 1.086 final gravity was 1.040. I mashed at 162(accidentally), and added 1lb of lactose, cocoa, and other spices. Just wondering if anyone has brewed something with a higher final gravity.

Sometimes I start that high but have never finished anywhere near there. Mash lower, don't use so much lactose, oxygenate, and pitch plenty of healthy yeast. I made a milk stout once the first time I used lactose (1 lb) and it finished at 1.022. That was probably the highest and I ended up throwing most of it out. The idea of cream stout is very appealing but you have to use much less than a pound.

1.150 with 150 IBUs

FG?...wow!

My highest FG was around 1.030 on a RIS. OG was really high and it turned out to be a really tasty beer. I don't expect you want a FG much lower than 1.025ish on a RIS anyway or it will get too thin.

I've got a robust porter conditioning in the keg at 1.022 right now. Mashed at 158* with MO and a ton of different crystal/roasted malts. Surprisingly, this is what the recipe calls for...hopefully it'll turn out great :)

As for the OP...if I accidentally mashed that high I'd definitely skip the lactose all together. Also keep some ice cubes on hand so you can get that mash temp down!

Latest posts

Back