What's the dry-est ale yeast out there?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess that depends on where the OG is. Or are you asking the most attenuative yeast? Some will give you 65-67% attenuation, while others will push 80%. It also depends on the amount of unfermentables in the wort, and the amount of simple sugars. Mash temperatures play a role, as well, so it's not easy to give a blanket answer.

Usually, for ale yeast strains, nottingham is pretty dependable to get you over 75%, sometimes higher. I had 80% on some beers.

Using an appropriate amount of yeast (a starter for liquid yeast is a must) and fermenting at optimum temperatures for the yeast can push these limits.

If you post your recipe, and technique, we can give you more specific advice.

I achieved 85% apparent attenuation with US-05 on the 9-9-9 Barleywine. It finished at 1.023 from 1.119 for 12.6% ABV. I used 1.5# of sugar added three days into fermentation, aerated with an O2 stone, used 2 tsp of yeast hulls, and pitched 2 1/2 packages (the other 1/2 package was used in the 2.5 gallon partigyle beer) after rehydrating.

I achieved 85% apparent attenuation with US-05 on the 9-9-9 Barleywine. It finished at 1.023 from 1.119 for 12.6% ABV. I used 1.5# of sugar added three days into fermentation, aerated with an O2 stone, used 2 tsp of yeast hulls, and pitched 2 1/2 packages (the other 1/2 package was used in the 2.5 gallon partigyle beer) after rehydrating.

Yeah, US-05 finishes very dry and clean. Depending on your fermentables, some ales brewed with it are almost like lagers.

What is the most dry ale yeast (lowest FG) out there, both in liquid and in dry?

That question really depends on the sugar content and type of the wort you're fermenting. Any beer yeast in 100% sucrose and fructose will ferment to totally dry. That's why wine yeast get below 1.000 because the sugars are easily fermentable.

Maltose isn't so easily fermentable. It contains a few different complex/long chain sugars that the yeast can't break up. That's why enzymatic action in Partial Mash and All Grain brewing makes such a huge difference in wort composition and fermentability. Too many long chain sugars and it doesn't really matter what yeast you use, it just won't ferment out.

That being said, some strains do better on more dexterous wort that others. I'd begin by looking at the yeast manufacturers web sites and checking the Apparent Attenuation numbers they publish. That number references what each yeast strain does against a lab wort that is exactly the same for each yeast tested. Higher percentages would mean they would ferment out dryer than others, but you also have to watch and make sure that the yeast works for the style your brewing.

Back