What's the deal with summit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcnewcp

Reaction score
Has anyone ever made a single hop beer with summit? I've heard about the onion/garlic concern with summit but it seems that not everyone agrees on that one and I've yet to come across someone who's made a brew with nothing but summit. I've been on a single hop APA kick lately and I was considering making one.

If you have access to Oskar Blues GUBNA, it is 100% Summit. If there is such a flavor as 'dank', Summit has it in spades...

If you have access to Oskar Blues GUBNA, it is 100% Summit. If there is such a flavor as 'dank', Summit has it in spades...

Ah, I didn't realize Gubna was all summit, but I'll definitely grab one at the bar this week and see what I think. I'm generally a fan of beers that others call dank or grassy.

Check out "The Dankness" DIPA clone, 1.068 / 1.010 @ http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/813

Here's the hop schedule for a 60 minute boil / 6 gallon batch:

18 IBU Apollo @ 60 min.
18 IBU Summit @ 30 min.
Flame out: 2oz. Apollo, 2oz. Summit, 2oz. Citra
Dry hop at 10 days into fermentation for a total of 5 days @ 65F: 1oz. Apollo, 2.5oz. Summit, 2.5oz. Simcoe

...Quite the low amount of hops at 60/30 min... And quite the large flameout/dryhop for a 6 gallon batch. The inordinate amount of flameout hops will help to raise the IBUs much more than you think.

Apollo is a big dank hop, more so than Summit. They said Columbus might work too. For those of you unaware of what "dank" means, it's that skunky aroma of bagged marijuana.

They said the Citra at flameout helped to give more hop complexity to an otherwise extremely potent dank brew. But other fruity hops would work there if you can't find it. One thing you don't want to do if you want a dank brew is add a hop like Citra to the fresh dryhop because the tropical fruitiness will overshadow the other hops.

To my knowledge, this beer is not oniony at all. But I got some of that onionyness from Founders Devil Dancer.

Check out "The Dankness" DIPA clone, 1.068 / 1.010 @ http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/813

Here's the hop schedule for a 60 minute boil / 6 gallon batch:

18 IBU Apollo @ 60 min.
18 IBU Summit @ 30 min.
Flame out: 2oz. Apollo, 2oz. Summit, 2oz. Citra
Dry hop at 10 days into fermentation for a total of 5 days @ 65F: 1oz. Apollo, 2.5oz. Summit, 2.5oz. Simcoe

...Quite the low amount of hops at 60/30 min... And quite the large flameout/dryhop for a 6 gallon batch. The inordinate amount of flameout hops will help to raise the IBUs much more than you think.

Apollo is a big dank hop, more so than Summit. They said Columbus might work too. For those of you unaware of what "dank" means, it's that skunky aroma of bagged marijuana.

They said the Citra at flameout helped to give more hop complexity to an otherwise extremely potent dank brew. But other fruity hops would work there if you can't find it. One thing you don't want to do if you want a dank brew is add a hop like Citra to the fresh dryhop because the tropical fruitiness will overshadow the other hops.

To my knowledge, this beer is not oniony at all. But I got some of that onionyness from Founders Devil Dancer.

I love that show, but I haven't heard this one. I'll have to go back and check it out. As far as the hop bursting technique, I'm a huge fan. I recently did an all citra where there was a small FWH charge of about 0.5 oz and all the rest of the IBUs came from 15 minutes and later. I thought it was fantastic. I was hoping to do roughly the same thing with summit, assuming I don't get onion and garlic.

I made an all Summit IPA .

I didn't get dank or onion flavors.

It was a grapefruit bomb...delicious.

That's what I want to hear.

On a whim, I threw two ounces of Summit as a dry hop into my American Cream Ale. No onion here. In fact, it is awesome! Intense tangerine character that is great for a summery ale. Even the BMC crowd loves it.

On a whim, I threw two ounces of Summit as a dry hop into my American Cream Ale. No onion here. In fact, it is awesome! Intense tangerine character that is great for a summery ale. Even the BMC crowd loves it.

But did they like it better than your Old Mr. Roasty Pants Porter, is all I need really to know.

Hah, with an entire lb of espresso, the Old Mr Roasty Pants Porter is only for the professional drinker. At this point its basically fizzy coffee. Hey, its great with your eggs at a late brunch on a summer afternoon outside! :)

I giggle at least 10x per month about Olde Mr. Roasty Pants since you brewed him. Anytime I think about brewing beer with dark malts, I think of Olde Mr. Roasty Pants. Not sure why.

I make my House Amber using all Summit, its got an in your face orange and tangerine flavor, nothing close to dank, onion, or garlic that others seem to get. I personally love Summit hops, definitely my favorite hop, and they go in about half of everything I brew.

I make my House Amber using all Summit, its got an in your face orange and tangerine flavor, nothing close to dank, onion, or garlic that others seem to get. I personally love Summit hops, definitely my favorite hop, and they go in about half of everything I brew.

Do you use a 60 minute addition on that one? The onion and garlic notes I've been warned about usually arise from boiling for more than 20 (or so I"m told). I was planning on doing a small FWH charge plus hop bursting for the rest of the IBUs.

It's got FWH, 10 min, and 0 minute additions..... If you haven't tried them before maybe make a small batch before you make a 5+ gallon batch. Not everyone perceives hop flavors the same. I don't get any pine or cat piss from simcoe, just non descriptive fruit flavor, and I don't get any citrus from centennial, its all floral for me. You can't allways depend on others taste buds to know what it will taste like to you.

So this brings up an interesting point that popped into my head; one that doesnt get touched on often. Do the microclimates and farming techniques change the way our hops taste from source to source.

Because lets face it, there are only two explanations: Some people are susceptible to the onion aroma in Summit, and some aren't. Or, considering hops are an agricultural product, maybe some summit hops have that onion aroma, and others don't.

Personally, I always get tangerine from Summit. Sometimes the onion is there also (Gubna), and other times it isn't. This makes me think that maybe soil conditions, weather patterns, temperature, etc have an affect on the hop's aroma in the same way they affect Alpha acids.

Thoughts?

So this brings up an interesting point that popped into my head; one that doesnt get touched on often. Do the microclimates and farming techniques change the way our hops taste from source to source.

Because lets face it, there are only two explanations: Some people are susceptible to the onion aroma in Summit, and some aren't. Or, considering hops are an agricultural product, maybe some summit hops have that onion aroma, and others don't.

Personally, I always get tangerine from Summit. Sometimes the onion is there also (Gubna), and other times it isn't. This makes me think that maybe soil conditions, weather patterns, temperature, etc have an affect on the hop's aroma in the same way they affect Alpha acids.

Thoughts?

I personally think there are lots of factors. my pallate enjoys garlic/onion, and i haven't found summit offensive. I too get good tangerine from it.

Vadalia onion comes to mind. Grown in certain regions it has different tastes due to soil chemistry, so it may make sense that hops are the same.

Individual tastes thresholds + growing chemistry = different perceived tastes makes sense to me.

I use summit in numerous beers. I like the softer citrus you get from it. I usually use it for FWH and in IPAs I use it from 15> through dry hopping. Never had the dank/onion/garlic flavors but I can name a few other beers I've gotten that from.

I'll be dry hopping my Summit IPA this weekend. ALL summit from start to finish along with some tangerine zest.

Not everyone perceives hop flavors the same. You can't allways depend on others taste buds to know what it will taste like to you.

I couldn't agree more. I recently made an all citra apa and entered an informal comp. Half of the reviewers said cat piss and BO, the other half gave me near perfect feedback.

This actually looks pretty close to what I do for single hop apas. I love those simple grain bills without crystal malts.

I love summit and use it in several brews. I do a SMaSH with a total of about 4 oz added through out the entire process. I enjoy the brew and in fact served a ked this past weekend for a graduation, got nice comments and about 25 folks drained the keg in less than an hour and a half. If you use a LOT you will definately get the stronger onion/garlic that is apparent in the GUBNA. If you back off you will get hints of the same with much more if the citrus.

I agree with the above comments on everyone tasting something different. People have flavors they like and dislike and I think disliked flavors are harder to forgive.

Simcoe is a good example for me. I know this is sacrilegious but I can't stand them because I cant get past the sharp cat P flavor. I clean too much kitty litter to be able to enjoy that flavor :)

I have heard....only heard...that the garlicky / oniony hops can develop that flavor the longer they stay on the bine. Not sure how valid that it but it could add another variable to the flavor equation.

Latest posts

Back