What's the best way to sanitize my strainor???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bgough

Reaction score
I've been dry hopping for one week with loose pellets. I will be bottling today and and plan on putting a strainor over my auto-siphon.

My question is this...

Should I boil the strainor, dip it in star san, or perhaps both?

The strainor I am using is a 24" x 32" nylon strainor.

Also, would it help to crash cool my carboy in my mini-fridge, and just bottle tomorrow?

I use a strainer over my siphon when dry hopping, and I only use leaf hops. I just toss it in the starsan and when I'm ready to use, squeze the excess starsan out of it and attach. pretty straight forward, never had any issues

Boil it, soak it... either one will work. In the future you should put the hop pellets in a fine mesh bag when dry hopping instead of putting them in loose, it's easier in the long run.

I never have much of an issue either way. I just siphon carefully, and I let it sit in the same place for a few days before racking. If you're careful you can get away with minimal mess.

Boil it, soak it... either one will work. In the future you should put the hop pellets in a fine mesh bag when dry hopping instead of putting them in loose, it's easier in the long run.

+1 on this method, also I would add some marbals or ball bearings to give weight to it so their not floating on top

There is a company called Sterigenics that will gamma sterilize it for you. You should probably do that. ;)

Seriously, relax and just spray a little Star San on it. By the time it has been fermenting for a week, your wort will be high on alcohol, low on oxygen and PH and nutrients, and almost nothing will grow in it.

Tom

Back