Whats the beer 8 ball say after a good shake?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thumpersk_a

Reaction score
Brewed a batch of beer a few days ago, used sweet orange peel in the batch. Thought i got all the orange peel cleaned up. There happened to be a big chunk stuck in the valve when i cracked it open on the kolsch that i just brewed....ooops kicking my self. I boil on a propane burner. Im hoping the heat killed any bugs. The chunk went into the fermentor i pitched yeast and crossed the fingers. Im shaking the 8 ball asking it where its putting putting its money

infection...( ) Or ( )...Kolsch with a orange chunk floating.

:mug:

That was tough to follow. I thought you were talking about 8 Ball Stout from Lost Coast! Either way, a chunk isn't good. The valve on the BK is "after the boil", everything that touches wort after the boil should be thoroughly cleaned and sanitized. Use a bottle brush or air lock brush on the valve. You should also take the valve apart every once in a while to clean it. What was the reason for leaving the chunk in the fermentor and not getting it out?
Best of luck, hope the Kolsch can prevail!!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

8ballaskagain.gif

But seriously, don't worry about it.

Ever grabbed your boil kettle valve just before flame out? Its sanitized and so was that chunk of orange peel...

Your call....It takes about 5 seconds to run a brush through it and rinse it out. I shoot a spray of sanitizer in it before I pump it through the plate chiller (depending on which setup I'm using). They make the valves so they can be disassembled for a reason. For the few seconds it takes me to brush the crap out of it I think it's worth it to avoid getting chunks of orange or last batches hop gunk in my fermentor. Especially when I just spent 5 hours of my time making the beer. Either way probably doesn't make a difference but I'd rather be safe than sorry!

On a side note.. I have grabbed the valve on accident before, I don't recommend it, very hot. Also accidentally opened the valve before the hose was locked and shot hot wort all over my junk! (I don't recommend that either)

I'm not say'n "don't clean your ball valve" and I do squirt some starsan into the valve before putting on my hose.

What I am saying is that the valve is too hot to hold infection and the O.P. shouldn't worry about the little piece of orange peel that was held at very near to boiling temps for at least an hour...

10-4. You are right that he should be just fine. I just noticed in his original post he didn't mention "I forgot" or "normally I clean it". I figured it was worth mentioning, I wasn't trying to put him in a panic.

Thanks for the bets guys. Yes i usually clean it but some how must have got in a hurry and spaced it out. Its happily bubbling away hopefully without a sour face. Think its time to change to an easier style of valve to clean

Just an update. The batch we were all placing bets on is in the keg and infection free. Edworts kolsch fights back against infection, with how good it turned out there will have to be a sequel.

Back