What's Next?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndrewNSachs

Reaction score
Alright, so my birthday is coming up in a little over a week, and then Christmas is right around the corner as well. I'm thinking of getting a bunch of brewing equipment, but I have no idea what I should get next! To give you an idea of what I've got so far, here's the kit that I bought (also the one my Dad got, so I have access to 2x of each thing listed here!)

6 gallon glass fermentor,
6 gallon bottling bucket w/ spigot,
Hydrometer,
Airlock and stopper,
Bottle filler,
Racking cane,
6 feet 3/8" tubing,
Bottle brush,
One gross bottle caps,
Funnel,
Carboy brush,
Bench lever bottle capper,
Thermometer,
Fermometer adhesive thermometer,
Iodophor sanitizer,
3 cases new 22 ounce beer bottles,
Grain steeping bag,
19 Quart Ceramic Kettle,
25 foot copper immersion chiller.

I've also got a couple of other small things (auto siphon, wine thief, etc.), a 8 gallon boil kettle, 10 gallon mash tun, and a plastic conical fermenter.

I'm thinking around $500-$600 for equipment, but what would be the next logical step for gear collecting? I know I need to get a 5 gallon carboy for secondary-ing, but would it be a chest freezer for temp control? Kegging equipment? I have no idea where to go next!

I'd say putting together a kegging system would be the way to go! :rockin:

imo temp control somehow. either a chest freezer or a dedicated fridge with a temp control. Check craigslist for an old fridge and buy an ebay aquarium temp control and you could still have 450-500 bucks left to spend!

A MLT for all grain and a type or form of temp. control. From previous post you seem to have a grasp of what you are up to, so the thing to think about is how far to go with the hobby. Small steps now and leap later. Make some more home brew and you'll figure it out.CHEERS:rockin:

A fridge/freezer and a digital temperature controller would be my move. You'll see a huge improvement in your beer with good temperature control.

I know I need to get a 5 gallon carboy for secondary-ing,

How do you know that you need a 5 gallon carboy?

Many of us are going to primary only and making great beer. Do you plan on making a barleywine that needs aged for 6 months to a year? Do you plan on racking your beer onto oak?

Temp control, then a wort chiller, and then a kegging system.

No need for all sorts of equipment for all grain, just BIAB!

Something for fermentation temperature control for sure. One of the biggest factors in a quality end product.

Back