whats needed to step up to 10 gallon batches ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kappclark

Reaction score
I would like to go to 10 gallon batches, maybe in the Spring.

I figure I will need some bigger kettles, a better chiller, and a bigger buner (right now - 55K

any suggestions ? Don't want to spend thousands to do this (!) Hundreds would be better ..want to goto kegging as well (bottling that much is out of the question !

I think I would continus to ferment in buckets (although the stainless fermenter would be cool, but a dream.

Any comments appreciated..

I stepped up to 10 gallon batches with a bigger burner and Sanke keggles. I still ferment in Buckets.

I just started doing AG batches, and my first batch was 10 gallons.

All that I bought for this was a keggle from Sabco ($99 + shipping), a shirron plate chiller from morebeer ($89), and a banjo burner from grape and granary ($70).

I already had a large cooler kicking around the house so I swapped the stainless steel braid from a smaller cooler into that one.

I am still fermenting in two pales, and often like pitching different yeasts to see the results.

That is great news ... I have a bigger cooler which I can convert (Thank You Flyguy) ... I already have a 5 gallon, but parts are so cheap, I will convert the bigger one as well...

This is so much less expensive than I imagined ... do I need any pumps to move all this stuff ? The regular keggles don't have a valve, so I have to siphon or pump when cooled ...

comments ?

You certainly don't need a pump! IMO a pump is a "luxery" item. I like simple brewing methods that "work for me". You can do 10 gallons easily by splitting the volumes into easily liftable quantities. A five gallon bucket w/ a hose shoved thru a hole in the side/bottom (bottling bucket) is a simple five gallon pump. Lots of people do large batches w/out a pump by either a tierred system or lifting partial amounts as they brew.

I'm not at all trying to discourage you from incorporating a pump...some people use pumps...some don't. In theory you could collect a hundred gallons of wort by lifting five gallons twenty times. Sure a pump would be easier...but the forearms and gravity will also work! Siphoning out of a keggle will work fine as well...again a little more labor but the choice is yours.

I would get a kegging system in place prior to ten gallon batches!! IMO kegging is perhaps the biggest labor saver as well as a means to improve quality!! Nothing beats cold conditioning and clear perfectly carbed pours.

Mike

What are you using for a burner? I swear that little patio stove I bought at Depot for $45 has more than enough ooomph to handle 10 gallons. It does seven gallons without blinking.

kappclark said:
The regular keggles don't have a valve, so I have to siphon or pump when cooled ...

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. For the first batch, I just siphoned out of the keggle but wasn't too thrilled with the process. I have since purchased a weldless ball valve from morebeer (35$). I also had to purchase a 7/8" hole saw from HD ($12) to install it.)

I would also agree with the previous comment regarding kegging. With 10 gallon batches it becomes more than just a convenience, it is nearly a requirement.

I am sure there are those that do it, but you would never find me bottling 10 gallons of beer.

For tose 20 gallon containers - is there a plm with the headspace ? That won't affect fermentation rate - right ?

If I went with that solution, I would need some kind of hand-truck to move the beer inside after transferring to the fermenter .. (I would brew outside on the porch) .. glad to see they are food grade ! Do you bother to put any kind of airlock in the lid ?

Bird - my burner is a 55K Bayou classic (the same one you got at Depot)

I am not a welder and I won't be able to drill holes in keggles ... are the keggles available with a valve ?

Drilling the hole in the keg is easy. I've used a weldless kit from NB ($20 or so), works fine, no leaks. Welding is certainly not a requirement to build a keggle.

... are the keggles available with a valve ?[/QUOTE]

Keggles are available with just about every imaginable option. Some use "Sabco"... or ebay...I've heard good things about pedalbiker (ebay) or "swagman" on the greenboard (brewboard) seems like a helluva nice guy that does quality work at reasonable prices.

The point here is that nothing is "cheap" and shipping only compounds that problem. Turn key soulutions are available but as most things in life $$$ is required.

Mike

Kappclark, if you can get your hands on a keg, I'm more than happy to help you convert it into a keggle. I've got all the tools here that you would need. Easy-peasy.

Bird -

You are your typically generous self ! I will take you up on that offer, and maybe we can have another mini-brew session ...thanks for the offer ..

So I just need the NB kit, and then we (mostly you) can get the valve installed ..

North Adams in the Spring - I am getting ready.

Just to get started...

Pretty much what you see here.

What you won't find:

Pumps, kettle spigots, false bottoms...

I keep it simple. Use my racking cane to transfer beer. The old five-gallon (turkey fryer) set up is used to heat my water. I ferment in buckets and use carboys for overflow.

10Gallon_Setup.JPG

10Gallon_Setup@.JPG

Whirlpool.jpg

And here's the best part of going to 10-gallon brews...the fermenting chamber is full :ban:

35_gallons.jpg

Didn't know abt Kai's - good news to me ... when in March ? It might be possible for me to make it .. maybe Kai should invite Ray !

Biermuncher - I like the SIMPLE setup ! Why complicate such an important process ! All I need now is a garage ! (But I have a covered porch so almost as good ..

This just keeps getting easier, thx to all the great comments and pics !

Back