whats it supposed to look like.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok i transfered from my primary to me secondary, its really cloudy and orange. smells like beer but it kinda tastes like a bitter sour. not really sour, I guess it tastes like beer. Is there anything distict i should be looking out for.. For all i know its completely infected and i think its the best thing. i took a picture but i cat see anywhere to post it. just a hyperlink but its on my HD not the www. oh well tell me what you think. I can e-mail the pic to you if you wanna see

Jeffs-a-brewin said:
Ok i transfered from my primary to me secondary, its really cloudy and orange. smells like beer but it kinda tastes like a bitter sour. not really sour, I guess it tastes like beer. Is there anything distict i should be looking out for.. For all i know its completely infected and i think its the best thing. i took a picture but i cat see anywhere to post it. just a hyperlink but its on my HD not the www. oh well tell me what you think. I can e-mail the pic to you if you wanna see

it's gonna be cloudy until it conditions and clears in the secondary. try not to be moving the secondary around either. the day before you bottle, elevate it to where your going to bottle. that way anything that gets disturbed during moving, will settle down before you bottle. zip me a pic. i'll take a look. [email protected]. what kind of brew is it?

DeRoux's Broux

Heres the pic of his beer....

brew_pic.jpg

I think its okay man. Im a newb myself but i dont think you have an infection. It should clear up through secondary. What kind of brew is that? Ive only made dark ales so far...

Aren't you supposed to let lagers ferment at like 55-60 deg F?? I think they take longer than ales to because they have to settle until they clear. Someone correct me if im wrong?

Yeah, lagers, if using a lager yeast, should ferment at lower temps, and for longer. From what Janx says about infected brew, you will know...it will be undrinkable; so you're probably OK. Looks OK, from my little experience, anyway.

it's fine mate! let it sit two weeks, you'll be good to go!

cover it up if you want too, to keep it out of the direct light, but check on it daily :)

beer.JPG

this is mine in secondary right now. it has spend 5 days in primay and is going on its second week in secondary. relax, your beer is fine. just give it a few days to clarify and settle. after that, bottle and enjoy in a few weeks after carbination.

Looks like everythings going south on this beer. You said it smelled sour and a lager at ale temps is not a good idea unless its a Cali common. The color looks more like a Marzen than anyother beer. From the sour smell its lactobacillis in the beer. I bet there is some green apple smell in it to from to high a fermentation temp. Hopefully it turn for ya but if it smell bad and looks bad its usually bad. Dont wast your time on it or make a wheat beer and turn it into a lambic.

It certainly looks fine. Tough to say without tasting it. Your description of bitter-sour sounds kind of bad. There's this one infection I'm most familiar with that seems to emphasize the bitter to the point where it's this harsh, really green taste. Hard to describe. But once you smell/taste it, you can smell it a mile away.

I'd wait a while and let it finish up and taste it them. Masondelux is right...if it's infected, ddon't try to talk yourself into the fact that it's good. But also be sure to give it enough time to make sure it's all done. Another good idea is to have someone impartial and honest taste it. I usually get my wife to taste it because she has no qualms about being perfectly...honest...when tasting my beer ;) (Actually the wife likes almost all of the beer we make, but if it's bad, she's not gonna lie about it).

But it really looks fine...like most any beer in the secondary. That color will lighten and look less orange when the yeast settles. Cheers! :D

the beer smells ok. Doesn't smell sour. The description of sour/bitter i more my negative attitude thinking its bad just because its my first brew. My other two roommates didn't describe it that way at all.. It smells like beer. Theres a small bit of whitish sediment of the bottom but i'm assuming thats just stuff settling. Its hard to know if its infected or not without having something tactile to compare it to. Guess we'll just wait and see. But as for odour theres no offensive smell, just the smell of warm, flat beer

I dont know if its actually a lager. I may have read that somewhere else and am confusing one thing for another. The kit is from
http://www.coopers.com.au
Its a Canadian Blonde. The instructions say between 21-27 and thats what it is aprox. Anybody have any further info on this

Back