What's in your fermenter(s)?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If there is something that is fermenting, then the thing that it is fermenting in is a fermenter. I've fermented an Anchor Steam clone in a brewpot with a sheet thrown over it to simulate the open fermenters that they use(d). I'm never doing that again.

Anyway, I'm just finishing up the lagering phase for an Oktoberfest, have a Brett American Barleywine and a Chocolate Foreign Extra Stout bubbling away, and two style-be-damned sours coming along nicely.

Good point-I was in a being ratarded mood, I did just squeezed the bags of fruit today and transferred to my glass carboys(my usual feremters). I wouldnt be comfortable going more than a week in those pots- but they are clean and sterilized-I just wouldnt like loosing co2 after a few weeks and getting oxygen in,my gravity today was 1.02 already its only been 2-3 days in. Tastes really good too and actually got almost 2 gallons of each. I had to use the 2 one gallon jugs for one and my 3 gallon carboy for the other. Im thinking I may have to rack on top of more fruit because I only used 4# of fruit for an intentional one gallon each batches- now 2 gallons of volume each. Probably not enough fruit per gallon now for the blueberry melomel,and blackberry wine. Im considering them both wines really,I didnt probably use enough honey in the melomel to make it more mead like.I just used up what I had and also had to top it up with more sugar to reach my intentional gravity.

One gal of experimental spiced cranberry mead, and 2.5 gal of a raspberry ipa that I made up hence the reason for only 2.5 gal if it sucks that will be much easier to choke down/give away.

In primary I have my aging Lambic and a kitchen sink Smoked Black Saison. In secondary, an English Barleywine sitting on oak, as well as 1 gallon batches of Skeeter Pee, Dry Mead, Maple Wine, and Welch's Wine.

Since I believe it was this thread where it came up, the Maple Wine is actually quite tasty. A bit of an acquired taste, but I've enjoyed the samples I've had.

6 gallons of milk stout bubbling so hard at 61f it shocked me a little, pretty plastic bucket not much to look at.

IMG_0615.jpg

In primary I have my aging Lambic and a kitchen sink Smoked Black Saison. In secondary, an English Barleywine sitting on oak, as well as 1 gallon batches of Skeeter Pee, Dry Mead, Maple Wine, and Welch's Wine.

Since I believe it was this thread where it came up, the Maple Wine is actually quite tasty. A bit of an acquired taste, but I've enjoyed the samples I've had.
Interesting, did it ferment dry?

Added figs to my wild quad today.

image-2086382222.jpg

Preemptive blowoff is unneeded so far, but the figs had a few white spots so something interesting is bound to happen.

Added figs to my wild quad today.

View attachment 149639

Preemptive blowoff is unneeded so far, but the figs had a few white spots so something interesting is bound to happen.

Looks great, saw it earlier and made me thirsty, how long you going to let it age? If the white spots don't take it in another direction.

Looks great, saw it earlier and made me thirsty, how long you going to let it age? If the white spots don't take it in another direction.

Well, it's pushing probably 10.5 abv and has some acidity going, so I'm not overly worried about anything bad taking hold, but of course it could happen. Barring that, I'm planning on letting it sit until it's ready. That's how it goes. I'll probably taste it when the fruit looks good and done, maybe March or so depending on my cellars temps this winter

München Helles in secondary and just started an Altbier in primary. Sadly this means all carboys are in use for another 5 weeks, i should have spaced out my long conditioning beers more.

Simple! Buy more fermenters!

Ah but then I still have no cooling capacity.

The nice thing is they will be empty within a week of one another. So then i can brew up two more (if i get a second temperature controller I could ferment in my child storage fridge to).

OktoberFAST, a red ale, and Bad Santa. And after work today (yes, working on a Sunday...damn work for taking up my brew time but yeah OT!..) we will be doing a Pumking clone.

Got another batch of Janet's Brown knocked out (batch 7 or 8, can't remember). Try to keep this one in rotation always but its hard. Having fun playing with different hop combos now. Last time bittered with Galena instead of the Northern Brewer just to try it out. Less earthy, little spicier than the NB. This batch has Chinook for the bittering, and mixed Cascade/Amarillo for the late hops. Probably dry hop with more of the Cascade/Amarillo mix. I did freezer inventory the other night in preparation for the incoming hop crops, only to find that with about 6.5 lbs mixed of 8 different varieties, I am still good on buying for a while.

Got a Scottish 70/- with 1728 in the fermenter chugging along with what looks to be a really healthy fermentation. Even though it's 54 deg in the fermentation chamber, it started right up less than 12 hours after pitching and it is bubbling away pretty aggressively despite the cool temp.

Wild Cluster Blonde Ale.

I found some hops growing locally and best I can figure out they are Cluster. I picked a bunch and dried them out (got about 5oz) and then tried to decide how best to use them. I am new to all grain and have no experience in creating recipes so I decided to adapt someone else's.

I made a batch of BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde a while ago and really like it so I decided to redo it only replacing all the hops with an appropriate amount of the wild hops I had (pretty much just guessed at the amounts).

This was probably the absolute wrong way to go about things but if the end result is even fit to drink I'll try a few other beers using this hop. Maybe an oatmeal stout with just a bittering addition for example.

If I determine the hop is usable I might try to transplant a root to my backyard next spring.

AHS Anniversary IPA. I'll be dry hopping it in a couple of days. I can't wait to start drinking this. I'll be reusing the yeast cake for AHS Partial Mash Brewing-On-A-Budget IPA when I bottle it.

10gal of Imperial Porter fermenting with West Yorkshire yeast, to which I'll add my pumpkin pie spices and organic vanilla when it goes to keg.

It's been a week and a half. I think I put about 2 figs too many in there. Not enough room for a stopper so it's got an orange cap on there. Noticed it was leaking beer a little, rather than bubbling airlock so I pulled a fig out and ate it. Tasted like it had been soaked in whiskey. I probably need to pull another fig out and maybe a grav sample so I can get a proper seal on it to age and avoid acetobacter.

Realized I'm up to 16 fermentors full. All the wild stuff in the cellar, plus a BdG, biere de noel that 's currently about 13%, still 1.032, and getting brett a. when I figure out where to put it after some lagering, a brown (autumn) saison cold crashing to bottle this weekend, and a stout I brewed with my BdG yeast I plan to secondary with vanilla beans and maybe cocoa nibs.

5 gallons of Blonde
5 gallons of Kolsch
5 gallons of Octoberfest
5 gallons of Landshark
2 X 5 gallons of Kona Fire Rock
On Tap:
Chinook IPA
Milk-O-Stout
Crappy Mild
Octoberfest
Best Blonde

5 gallons of Blonde
5 gallons of Kolsch
5 gallons of Octoberfest
5 gallons of Landshark
2 X 5 gallons of Kona Fire Rock
On Tap:
Chinook IPA
Milk-O-Stout
Crappy Mild
Octoberfest
Best Blonde

where you at in wvc? I needed some irish moss 2 days ago and was wishin I had someone I could bum some from that was local! lol. BTW im on 4800w and 4500s

My Cougar Country IPA was at FG last night. So I thawed the 4/.8oz hop packets left from flavor hop additions to dry hop a lil bit ago. The other fermenter with another batch of my Maori IPA has a couple points to knock off yet. Maybe get to dry hop that one Saturday. Thinking about getting another 6 gallons of my Whiskely Stout going next when I empty the Cooper's Microbrew fermenter of the CCIPA.

5.5 Gallons of A No Sparge, FWH, Partial Mash Altbier. I was drinking a fairly strong hoppy American Amber while brewing and I don't remember going to sleep that night. I remember pitching the yeast...and the fermentation went to town that next morning. Had some blowoff even. Got to pace myself as brew days get longer and longer!

Back