Whats gonna happen to my yeast with this one?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f81/southern-sweet-cider-114594/

This is the recipe I have in day 9 of primary right now; I plan on moving to secondary tomorrow as per recipe, BUT I plan on bottling.
It mentions adding sorbate when moving to secondary. I know this would halt further fermentation, so how would this effect my bottling procedure?
Would there be enough yeast left in suspension to bottle carb?
Thanks...B

No.

Sorbate inhibits yeast reproduction (that's why it only 'works' if the cider is clear due to the billions and billions of yeast during fermentation). In that recipe, the sorbate will do nothing since the yeast don't need to reproduce. The cider MUST be clear before using sorbate for it to prevent fermentation from restarting.

Sorbate is handy for preventing bottle bombs and fermentation from restarting in the bottle- which means that you will not get bottle carbonation if you use it.

So if I skipped the sorbate and pasteurized, I could proceed as normal?

You mean, bottle and then pasteurize when the carbonation is where you want it? Yes, many people do that. There is a sticky thread in this forum on the how-to. I don't do this, as I don't like sweet cider or sweet wines.

Back