What's going on with my taste buds?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

Srdjan Ostric

Reaction score
So, I have been fascinated with doing altbier because I can't find it, and it seems like a really interesting style.
I did one, and as it turned out I thought I totally screwed it up because the aftertaste was wretched to me. I didn't do all the steps of mashing but the recipe said you could do 152 and be fine. I fermented at 71, and thought maybe that was too high.
So, in short, I thought I messed it up.
But lo and behold, I bought a Marzen from Bell's, and guess what? It had the same kind of weird sulfery-off finish. I then asked my wife to taste it and she liked it and didn't know what was going on.
I then realized that maybe it is the yeast. I tried a amber ale with the k-97 yeast, and it also tasted terrible, and I am beginning to realize that I only like certain kinds of yeast.
Love safale 5, love saison, love the verdant IPA. All winners. Also, safale 6.
Do you notice the same thing in your brewing? I mean, it makes sense. Some people can't stand saison, but I LOVE Allagash white. I love the clove especially. I also don't really like hoppy IPA, Huma licious is not good to me, though I like the more fruity citrus style, like Deschutes IPA.
And what is that taste I am tasting in the marzen and altbier?
Do you have any predictions based on this what other beer styles I might like or not like?

lumpher

Reaction score
71 is too warm for K-97. It's better in the low 60's. How long did you let the beer age? Bell's Marzen probably aged plenty of time, but if you let yours cold-age some, it should decrease to a tolerable level.

lumpher

Reaction score
Similar styles are Vienna Lagers, Brown ales, and Amber ales. You might try Dunkels and Bocks. That's moving a little away from the style, but worth a try.

hotbeer

Opinionated Newb
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Are your beers murky and cloudy with all sorts of stuff suspended in it?

That might be your real issue.

hottpeper13

Reaction score
I use 2565 for my Alts, step fermented. Pitch at 55* set to 59* 3 days, then to 64* until the krausen falls slightly around days 7-10, then to 68* for the remainder of a 21 day primary.