Whats floating in my Wine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smAllGrain

Reaction score
So I bottled this wine a few months ago. Before bottling I treated it with campden for 24 hrs. Prior to that it had stopped throwing lees. I stored them at 65F on their sides. I decided to take a look this afternoon & saw this in every bottle. Any ideas?

Tartrate Crystals?

2015-06-01 16.45.40.jpg

2015-06-01 16.45.34.jpg

Last edited:
That actually looks like un-dissolved sorbate.

Just a guess...

Thats more likely then what I was thinking!!! Unless that is really tequlia in those wine bottles.....

Open one and take a closer look. Taste test the wine as well. If all taste good and the stuff settles to the bottom of the bottle then I would not worry about it. Seddament happens sometimes despite all our best efforts.

Sent from my iPod touch using Home Brew

Thats more likely then what I was thinking!!! Unless that is really tequlia in those wine bottles.....

Open one and take a closer look. Taste test the wine as well. If all taste good and the stuff settles to the bottom of the bottle then I would not worry about it. Seddament happens sometimes despite all our best efforts.

I will def do that. Should I keep storing them on their side if the wine still taste good?

Yup. Real corks need to touch the wine to stay fresh. So bottles on thier sides.

Finally opened a bottle last night & the wine taste fine. Once I get to the end of the bottle I will take a pic of the particles.... Thanks for the help!

Cheers

Latest posts

Back