What's everyones favorite recipe with fresh cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wizang

Reaction score
A lot of the recipes I see on the forums call for apple juice. I've made apfelwein and graff with apple juice with great results. However, I just picked up 5 gallons of fresh pressed cider (unpastuerized -- its sitting in an icy cooler until the morning). What's everyone's favorite recipe with real fresh cider? Anyone tried a cyser with fresh cider? Thanks :)

My favorite so far has been 100% cider, with some ale yeast. That's it.

I have a tart but great flavored cider that I fermented with S04 yeast, and it's awesome. I was going to add some honey to smooth it out, but I don't think I will as it's that good!

I generally make one or two batches of cider a year, and always from fresh-pressed cider from a local orchard. After trying many things, straight-up ale yeast is what I have come to prefer. The only thing that ever gets added is maybe a pound of piloncillo if the cider is made from late-season apples.

I have one going with us-05 now... Today's gravity sample tasted great!

My favorite so far has been 100% cider, with some ale yeast. That's it.

I have a tart but great flavored cider that I fermented with S04 yeast, and it's awesome. I was going to add some honey to smooth it out, but I don't think I will as it's that good!

I do pretty much the same thing. Fresh cider from a local orchard and yeast. I use Nottingham. I do however sweeten after its done fermenting with a brown sugar and cinnamon syrup. I keg it and keep it cold so I don't have to worry about the yeast starting up again.

+1 to what Yooper said. 100% juice and ale yeast. No sugar added until back sweetening before I bottle. Simple. Easy. Amazing!

Great results from adding sugar to bring the cider to 1.060 or so, fermenting it all the way to dry, then adding more fresh cider to dilute and sweeten it. The last batch, we heat pasteurized it then kegged to carbonate.

Back