What's Brewing This Weekend (3/17-19)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dude

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
It's almost here, let's hear what is planned for this weekend!

I'm FINALLY getting around to having a good weekend of beer, beer and more beer.

Friday I'm brewing the Honey Pale that has gotten pushed back a few times now. Pitching with a slurry of WLP001 (Cali Ale) that has been in the fridge for 2 weeks. Should be a good strong ferment. I have over a pint of yeast slurry.

Saturday, FINALLY, FINALLY, FINALLY, my father-in-law is welding up my brew rig. He thinks we can git 'er done in one day. I have my doubts but we will see. I have 2-3 more parts to buy, need to figure out the best way to get the gas pipes and burners set up, then it is set to brew on. The inaugural run is planned for March 23rd or 27th. Either way I am brewing both days--as I'm getting 4 beers ready to send off to Nationals.

This is gonna be an awesome weekend. Wish my ol' buddy Swami was here to brew too.

So....who else?

Nothing: My inlaws, who are adamantly anti-alcohol, are coming to visit. I wont go so far as to hide *everything* away, but actually brewing while they're here would probably make their heads explode.

(Hey...wait a minute...)

I have a dubbel to bottle and a hefe to rack before they get here, though.

I'm going to have to flip a coin....

more IPA (this batch is disappearing FAST, which I am taking as a good sign) or a nutbrown to get rid of some of the aging specialty grains in the freezer.

Hmmm... maybe I'll do both.

then again, maybe I'll take a stab at making some wine.

-walker

All of my in-laws are pretty tolerant of my alcohol"ism", but none of them drink. The bro-in-law does though, so that is cool. He was guzzling smoked porter down last weekend while playing some cards.

I forgot I also have to rack the 06.06.06 onto some oak chips, and then read the directions for the Beer Gun so I can be ready to bottle in a couple of days.

i'm racking my caramel vanilla cream ale into my rabid secondary.

other than that, i might do a little shopping at the lhbs for the next brew

My in-laws don't really seem to mind too much...they drink a bit, but not recreationally like me. It's taken me almost 5 years to train them to have a 6-pack of anything in the fridge when I visit.

I'm leaning towards brewing my Aventinus Saturday a.m. Having discussed it with the Kaiser I'd really like to do a decoction mash, but time will tell the tale. I might wind up just doing infusions. I think the weather over the next 7-10 days will result in a good primary fermentation temperature in Chez BeeGee.

I also plan to bottle my MacTarnahan's Amber clone and hopefully drink some mature Weihenstephan clone.

I'm cloning like a Korean scientist!

Baron von BeeGee said:
I also plan to bottle my MacTarnahan's Amber clone and hopefully drink some mature Weihenstephan clone.

I wish we could get more MacTarnahan's out here. I love the Cream Porter. Never had any of the others though....

Baron von BeeGee said:

LOL!

I'm bottling my Irish Red and brewing up the IPA II, both are from Morebeer.com

Dude said:
I wish we could get more MacTarnahan's out here. I love the Cream Porter. Never had any of the others though....
I've never had any of them...a buddy wanted to do an amber/red, so I found the MT Amber in Beer Captured. I went with solely because it had 1/2oz of peated malt which I'm dying to find out if I can taste or not.

I just did a stout and a rauch on tuesday, so it'll be a quiet weekend for me. May head out to the 'Squatch Patch to help him bottle couple batches. And drink his beer.

Baron von BeeGee said:
Meaning you haven't cloned anything...just fudged some results saying you did? :mad:

As for brewing, my in-laws are in town also, so probably nothing. They're leaving Monday tho, and I just picked up a ten gallon cooler, so hopefully I'm mashing Monday on my 1st AG.

something in the heavier gravity range... something redish in color with a decent amount of english hopps... i've got a dry english ale yeast cake to throw it on, but i don't have a grain/hop bill yet.

maybe 10-12 lbs two row, 2 lbs crystal enough to give it a nice malt and a ruddy red color.

thinking perle and ekg goldings to bitter and flavor.

I will be transfering my ESB to secondary and brewing a 12 gal batch of IPA with 29 lbs of grain and 7oz of hops (Warrior and Cascade). It will be my first huge ag batch, wish me luck....

Brewing an AB Clone using all Chinook... Bottling a nice IPA thats been in the secondary 3 weeks

Just racked my Strong Scotch ale to secondary today, so nothing brewing this weekend. Tasted good, but real strong alcohol taste, not to worried though only been 12 days since brewed. I will probably not get to brew again for two weeks :(
:off: More of the Honey DO list this weekend, dang this remodel job will never end!:mad: May actually get the dang drywall hung next week

Apparently, the Chairman cometh... That means I have to chill a LOT of beer.

I bottled a porter last weekend and brewed a kolsch last night, so this weekend is pretty much a watching and waiting weekend. (Unless, of course, I were to go out and buy another carboy and some ingredients...). No, SWMBO already thinks I brew too much beer.

After two weekends of brewing I need one off to get caught up. I do need to racklast week's batch but that can always rest for a couple of days. This will be the perfect opportunity to try a couple of beers that I've never had before!

I got a new kettle and chiller today so I am doing an extract of a Belgian Dubbel. Don't know much about Belgian beers so I thought I would try one out.

The basement project will be preventing me from brewing for another month or so... but it won't prevent me from drinking some of my beer stash. Tonight, I'm going to drink a couple while I paint the walls. The results should be interesting.... ;)

Oh how I miss the smell of the mash....

Back