What's brewing related that someone may not think they need, but should really have?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MetallHed

Reaction score
I'm visiting the Northern Brewer storefront in Minnesota on Thursday during a shopping trip. I brew all-grain and partial-mash and have everything I need to brew beer, so I'm having a hard time coming up with something to look at or pick up while I'm at the store.

I know that people are getting certificates for the holidays and I thought this thread may help them get ideas on what to get.

Name something that a brewer should add/upgrade that you think is a must have. Explain why.

This thread could be useful for any brewer that thinks they have it all. (Also it'll help me pick out my B-day present ;) )

:mug:

EDIT: added some bits for clarification. I'm trying to steer this to a general convo/suggestion thread, not focused on what I, specifically, need/want. Hope that helps!

It's pretty hard to give suggestions when I don't know what you already have? Buy some grain you haven't used or a perlick faucet.

If you have it all already, grain is the only thing I would get there.

I'm thinking just for everyone, not necessarily me in particular.

Like saying "Oh man, everyone needs a winethief. Ditch the turkey baster, this thing is the cornerstone to my brewing." Or "a brewer should definitely have a [brand] thermometer. By far the best thermometer I've ever had because it's totally accurate."

That kind of stuff. People are getting gift certificates for the holidays and maybe are having a hard time deciding what they should get. I was hoping this thread may give them a few ideas.

I love my 1/2" autosiphon. I think everyone should have one.

The time it takes to siphon versus my 3/8 is significantly faster.

Hmm, perhaps it would be easier if anyone answering was to assume that the person doing the purchasing has a basic extract starter kit already.

For me, it would be yeast nutrient, yeast energizer, and pectin enzyme. You don't really need them for beer, but if you decide to make hard apple cider or wine they are very useful.

Hmm, perhaps it would be easier if anyone answering was to assume that the person doing the purchasing has a basic extract starter kit already.

For me, it would be yeast nutrient, yeast energizer, and pectin enzyme. You don't really need them for beer, but if you decide to make hard apple cider or wine they are very useful.

Good idea

Gift certificate, or Visa gift card so that the person getting the gift can pick what he/she needs/wants. Sucks getting something you already have or don't need. IF you know if the person is extract, partial mash, or all grain, you can get some things. If you know they like a certain hop variety or malt, you could get that (a sack of MO is amost always appreciated). But, IMO, funds for the person getting the gift gives them the flexibility/freedom to get what THEY want.

auto-siphon.

I know that most people have it, but some don't and that some should upgrade to it or a spigot. Cause using a racking cane and siphoning with sanitizer (cause you can't suck it out, it's bad for the wort) is messy and cumbersome. For only 10 bucks you should have an auto siphon. Or use a bottling bucket so you can use a spigot, either is much more acceptable than the hassles of racking cane. Hate the racking cane.

After that I would probably recommend a Starsan, most people have the basic crappy cleaner when they start out, and it's fine, but Starsan is so much better.

Just my two cents, but I think the Vinator is a must have for any bottler. Quick and efficient way to sanitize bottles before filling. Not a "must have", but definitely nice to have.

auto-siphon.

I know that most people have it, but some don't and that some should upgrade to it or a spigot. Cause using a racking cane and siphoning with sanitizer (cause you can't suck it out, it's bad for the wort) is messy and cumbersome. For only 10 bucks you should have an auto siphon. Or use a bottling bucket so you can use a spigot, either is much more acceptable than the hassles of racking cane. Hate the racking cane.

After that I would probably recommend a Starsan, most people have the basic crappy cleaner when they start out, and it's fine, but Starsan is so much better.

Definitely must have an auto-siphon. The earlier comment suggested the 1/2" version, and I've heard it makes racking go much faster.

I honestly don't know which auto-siphon I have (it came with my kit and in my childish excitement I tore everything open)but I don't care it's just so much more awesome than a racking cane. I hated racking canes with all my heart.

Just my two cents, but I think the Vinator is a must have for any bottler. Quick and efficient way to sanitize bottles before filling. Not a "must have", but definitely nice to have.

+1
The addition of the Vinator has my bottling time down to 1:15 including racking and clean up.

If you bottle your beer the Colonna Capper/Corker is an absolute must have! It has sped up and made bottling easier. Plus I dabble in wine for the wife so I can easily do corks too. I have yet to try it but I've seen folks use it for corking Belgian bottles as well. This is one of my best purchases ever.

A good digital thermometer
A digital scale
Big Erlenmeyer flask for starters
Stirplate (if you aren't going to make your own)
A good dog for a brew day companion

A stir plate and flask for starters. My yeast are so hungry and healthy when they hit the wort, it makes a big difference in the consistency of my fermentation.

I'm visiting the Northern Brewer storefront in Minnesota on Thursday during a shopping trip.

Might as well visit Midwest Supplies too, long as you're in the 'Cities.

A long stir spoon, while seemingly very basic, was a good buy for me. I assumed I could get a long spoon just about anywhere; wrong.

For me, the 'must have' items you can get somewhere else for cheaper. For example:

digital scale
digital thermometer (bonus, if it has target temp and a timer).
binder clips (for BIAB)
couple of spray bottles (one for water, other for Star-san).

As for what NB would carry, I guess it doesn't hurt to get an extra bucket or carboy (whatever you use) for fermentors. Other things like air locks would be good and stoppers if you're using carboys. Small items like that you really can't have too much. If you're BIAB brewing, extra bags don't hurt.

If you already have an auto-siphon, I think I would get a clip for it, instead of going with a bigger siphon. I like the idea of clipping the siphon to the side of a bucket to keep from siphoning up sediment and/or be able to leave it while you do something else like gathering your bottles.

How about a second wort chiller to be used as a pre-chiller ahead of your main chiller. Immerse it in a cooler or bucket of ice water to drop the ambient temperature of your supply water before it goes into your main chiller... Speeds up your cooling process. An investment that's a time saver.

Assuming we are talking about already having most everything you "need" - and finding a "want", that really is nice to have -

pH meter
O2 oxygenation system with filter and pure O2 tank
Nice Mash Paddle
Nice glassware for quality control
Stainless mesh hop holder to contain hops during boil (many variations)
Books of interest
Magazine subscription of interest (BYO, Zymurgy)
Better regulator (double) for keg system
Tap Handles

:off:

Are you cleaning your bottles first or just sanitizing with the vinator?

I soak them when I pour a glass (label removal), then rinse and sanitize before bottling. Get all beer out of the bottle while it is fresh. I do not drink from the bottles. Hope that is enough. I am relatively new to bottling.

Not from northern but a nice big clear covered tub for all the gear. I keep it all together after cleaning with my pots and mash tun. Nice and neat. Make sure long enough for siphon and long spoons.

Assuming we are talking about already having most everything you "need" - and finding a "want", that really is nice to have -

pH meter
Nice Mash Paddle
Books of interest
Tap Handles

I like that list. Upgrades and extra goodies.

I'm visiting the Northern Brewer storefront in Minnesota on Thursday during a shopping trip. I brew all-grain and partial-mash and have everything I need to brew beer, so I'm having a hard time coming up with something to look at or pick up while I'm at the store.

I know that people are getting certificates for the holidays and I thought this thread may help them get ideas on what to get.

Name something that a brewer should add/upgrade that you think is a must have. Explain why.

This thread could be useful for any brewer that thinks they have it all. (Also it'll help me pick out my B-day present ;) )

:mug:

EDIT: added some bits for clarification. I'm trying to steer this to a general convo/suggestion thread, not focused on what I, specifically, need/want. Hope that helps!

Saying you have 'everything you need to brew beer' seems kinda loaded. ;) I have everything I need to brew as well. But, I feel your pain. I have caught myself wondering around the lhbs just starting at crap. "That would be cool to have." "Ohhh, I need that!"

More often than not, I find myself staring at things like DME, OneStep, or PBW and thinking, "Well, I could ALWAYS more of that..." Not as much fun as a refractometer or kegging equipment, still you need that stuff. Or ziploc baggies, or tin foil, or, you get the idea...

In my house, it's always the smaller stuff that I don't think I need but, should really have more of.

3 extra hydrometers. 2 to use and break, 1 to enshrine in a locked, transparent case. With the logo 'What it's supposed to look like."

Thick walled silicone tubing. Takes all temps, stays flexible at all temps.
Spring band clamps / pinch clamps (ditch the screw hose clamps)

Nice glassware
upgrade to stainless parts from brass or chromed brass

Thick walled silicone tubing. Takes all temps, stays flexible at all temps.
Spring band clamps / pinch clamps (ditch the screw hose clamps)

Nice glassware
upgrade to stainless parts from brass or chromed brass

Good idea on the tubing.. mine could use an upgrade. I'll look into the clamps too; worm clamps are a PITA sometimes.

A good dog for a brew day companion

^^ That!!! I know you can't exactly buy that, but, A good friend/pet around on brew day seems to make everything so much more pleasurable!!

I also agree with the auto siphon if you don't have a high temp. pump (big fan of being able to pump my wort through a plate chiller but have used gravity in the past and it worked pretty well).

-deicide

Braufessor said:

pH meter
Nice Mash Paddle
Books of interest
Tap Handles

Thanks for this. A ph meter is what I want as I'm just starting to play around with my water treatment. Didn't know such thing existed :)

-- Mason jars (from half pint to half gallon); BTW, Ace hardware stores stock them at the cheapest prices I have found.
-- Plastic food grade buckets from lowes. If you buy 5, they are only $3.50 each. The $2 lids also have a rubber seal. I store all grains in these. I black sharpie what's in them on the side. You could also make them into cheap fermenters.
-- A minimum of a 40-quart pot. I bought an aluminum Winware one on Amazon for $40. Definitely makes 5-6 gallon batches very difficult to boil over.
-- Keep the old turkey fryer with valve on the stove inside for hot water. 7 gallons of hot water is about right for mashing. It also keeps all your water in one vessel vs chasing a bunch of different pots.
-- Extra 5/16" and 1/2" clear tubing from lowes. Having 20 or so extra feet on hand to cut your own comes in handy.
-- A garage sink. I know this is pretty big, but I wouldn't trade my garage sink for anything. If you have the space, typically you can tap into another existing sink on the adjacent wall.
-- Cheap harbor freight ($15) submersible pump. I set mine in a bucket of starsan and pump it through my homemade counterflow chiller. I do this both before and after I brew. Not a chance for an infection.
-- An extra propane tank for your burner. Don't risk running out in the middle.
-- An extra capper. If you bottle a lot and don't live close to your LHBS or bottle usually at night when you can't get another, this is a good investment.
-- 7 cf freezer. The cheapest price, the better. Once you have this, build your own temp controller or buy one.
-- Erlenmeyer flask(s) and stir plate. Again, you can make your own.
-- Digital scale. I don't go by volume on anything but water.
-- Digital thermometer. This is essential. They don't have to be deadly accurate. They just have to be repeatable.
-- Cheap plastic spray bottle for starsan.

glass pipette. I use this to get a refractometer sample from the glass carboy. Also used for taking a bit of yeast from a starter for frozen yeast bank.

Back