What's a reasonable yield of juice from fresh apples?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diesel_88

Reaction score
I just pressed my first batch of fresh apples. I used an unknown assortment of varieties, chopped them in a food processor, then pressed them in an antique fruit press. From 22 lb of apples, I got just about a gallon of juice; that seems pretty poor to me, but I don't know any better. I had a lot of trouble finding the right "grind" in the food processor and lost some that way.

The best thing is to convert the weight of your apples to kilograms and the volume of juice to litres, then you get a % yield for your press, litres/kg. For a home press the minimum considered satisfactory is 50%, the max you will get is 75%.

I get 2.5 to 3 gallons per bushel (3 is really juicy ones) from my screw press, hydraulic is supposed to yield better. But 2.5 to 3 is a satisfactory yield. So you are not to far off

Thanks, all; glad I wasn't that far off. Think I will supplement with some frozen concentrate and call it good.

Back