What's a good choice of beer for a first-time all grain brewer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DatsyukianDeke

self-proclaimed
Reaction score
Leaning towards a wheat. Only 10lbs of grain seems appealing. Am I setting myself up for a fool's errand? Is there a smarter choice for a first AG brew?

Basically Jamil's American Wheat recipe

5lb white wheat
2.5lb pils malt
2.5lb two row
1lb rice hulls

Mash at 152 (I hope) for 60'. Batch sparge, 5 gallons.

What method are you using?
High wheat content can lead to stuck sparges, but rice hulls can help.

I vote a SMaSH for first AG batch. Or first few batches. It'll let you learn the basics without getting all wrapped up in building a recipe and let you learn the malts and hops.

I would go for an all grain APA with 2-row and simcoe hops

Also consider a porter or something darker. It'll hide a lot of minor flaws, yet give you a good beer.

What he said.....
even though a poster may not be so simple, it has the added benefit that if it doesn't taste great initially, you may let it age in the bottle and taste will improve. ..

I vote a SMaSH for first AG batch. Or first few batches. It'll let you learn the basics without getting all wrapped up in building a recipe and let you learn the malts and hops.

If you are going to answer a question. You should give details. Explain what is is SMaSH for the asker. Otherwise your answer is not helpful.

What method are you using?
High wheat content can lead to stuck sparges, but rice hulls can help.

Planning on a single infusion mash in a 10gal round Lowe's cooler with a bazooka screen but I might go with a false bottom instead. Mash out at 168. Pull first runnings, batch sparge, second runnings to boil volume. Sixty minute boil etc etc

If you are going to answer a question. You should give details. Explain what is is SMaSH for the asker. Otherwise your answer is not helpful.

Wooooo someone's a bit tender.

To the OP, excuse my misinformation... A SMaSH is a single malt and single hop beer. Very simple and straight forward. They are great for learning flavor profiles and keep the process fairly simple

I've got 13 extract batches under my belt. I'm pretty familiar with terminology. Plus reading How To Brew has helped a lot, too.

A smash sounds like a good idea.

Not sure I would bother doing a mashout your 1st AG, plus using a cooler. I assume a hot water infusion to raise temp? This will reduce your sparge volume.

If doing the wheat, confirm you have a good crush on the wheat, as wheat is smaller and harder kernel, it has the potential of poor crushing and lower efficiency.

My vote is water heater braid and batch sparging over a FB...fwiw.

I'm with Wilser on skipping the mash out. It doesn't provide a benefit for batch sparging. Also, forget about water to grain ratios for mashing, they're mostly of concern to fly-spargers. Just mash in with 1/2 of your target pre-boil volume plus 0.12 gal/lb times your grain bill weight (to compensate for grain absorption.) Then measure your first runnings volume, and sparge with enough water to make up the difference between your pre-boil target volume and first runnings volume.

Brew on :mug:

+1. Here's one I brewed recently:

8 lbs of two row Sacc rest at 150*F for 60 min
.5 oz Simcoe at 60 min left in boil
.5 oz Simcoe at 15 min left in boil
1 oz Simcoe at 5 min left in boil

Just mash in with 1/2 of your target pre-boil volume plus 0.12 gal/lb times your grain bill weight (to compensate for grain absorption.) :

This is great advice, I will simplify for those that don't like math :)

For a 5 gallon batch, mash in with 1/2 your pre boil volume pus 1 gallon to account for grain absorption....close enough...

Then measure first runnings and sparge with the amount needed to reach preboil volume.

IMHO, even if you use the beat calculator, it is wise to check kettle volumes to confirm calculated values as what is the kettle really matters more than what's on the spreadsheet lol.

If you're going the SMASH route, try something for which there is no extract substitute like Vienna or Golden Promise. That way, you get to try something completely new. Milwaukee's Lakefront Brewery does one literally called SMASH and it's Vienna and Willamette. Great combo.

Yooper's Fizzy Yellow Beer has a good dose of Vienna, too.

I'd vote SMaSH as well. Makes for a simple and tasty beer. That said, since you've got some extract brews under your belt you might consider brewing an all grain version of something you've made with extract. You'll already be familiar with how it turned out previously so that may help you evaluate your process and results.

Nothing wrong with your wheat recipe if that's what you like to drink.
The SMash is a fine idea but if you want a wheat then brew a wheat, A SMASh isn't really any easier or harder then the recipe you posted.
As others have said I'd batch sparge with the bazooka screen, and skip the mash out.

I'm with Wilser on skipping the mash out. It doesn't provide a benefit for batch sparging. Also, forget about water to grain ratios for mashing, they're mostly of concern to fly-spargers. Just mash in with 1/2 of your target pre-boil volume plus 0.12 gal/lb times your grain bill weight (to compensate for grain absorption.) Then measure your first runnings volume, and sparge with enough water to make up the difference between your pre-boil target volume and first runnings volume.

Brew on :mug:

This is great advice, I will simplify for those that don't like math :)

For a 5 gallon batch, mash in with 1/2 your pre boil volume pus 1 gallon to account for grain absorption....close enough...

Then measure first runnings and sparge with the amount needed to reach preboil volume.

IMHO, even if you use the beat calculator, it is wise to check kettle volumes to confirm calculated values as what is the kettle really matters more than what's on the spreadsheet lol.

great advice. I'm all about simple. The simpler, the better.

I use 10 lbs grists for a majority of my beers when batch sparging. I have a cooler set-up with a false bottom, I have used a braid as well. I end up utilizing between 8-8.5 gallons of water to do so. I mash and batch sparge with half of the total required water. This allows me to mash in at a certain temperature and batch sparge with a higher temperature which I believe increases overall mash efficiency, though I am not sure that it actually denatures the enzymes from the first batch because combined the temperature increase isn't that great.

Batch sparging is easy, though BIAB is perhaps easiest for all grain brewing.

for a first round of all grain brewing, I would recommend you brew something you like that is possibly forgiving. Also, use ale yeast, unless you have a known lager process. Your wheat beer may be a good staring point. Happy Brewing.

Latest posts

Back