What yeast to pitch for a BarleyWine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bh10

Reaction score
For the guys who've done barley wines , Im going to be making a small batch (2.5 gallons) and I was wondering what you used for yeast? I was thinking either WLP001 or WLP002, or maybe both. Any thoughts?

For the guys who've done barley wines , Im going to be making a small batch (2.5 gallons) and I was wondering what you used for yeast? I was thinking either WLP001 or WLP002, or maybe both. Any thoughts?

What kind of barleywine? What flavors are you going for? I've used Wyeast 1728 Scottish (which would be like WLP028; they're both the McEwan's yeast) and US-05 successfully; think I like the Scottish better..

In a big barleywine I'd go with US-05 instead of WLP001 if you decide to go with a Chico strain; they're very similar in general, and in a beer this big are likely indistinguishable. So I'd go with cheaper, easier, and higher cell count.

I'd second 1728 if you can find it. Great malty character and it's also a beast. I used it on an 1.108 OG old ale with no starter and it took it 80% + attenuation.

Out of th the yeast you mentioned, WLP001. If I could choose any yeast for a barley wine, it would be pacman, it just attenuates so darned well.

Sorry its an American, and the only reason I was thinking wlp001 is b/c I have some, but Ive heard good stuff about pacman Ive just never used it.

I used 001 on an extract barley wine this past winter with excellent results. I now have pacman so I'd probably use that now. But he BW made with the 001 is the best beer I've brewed yet

Pacman!

That thing is amazing -- especially fermented cool (60-62F) and in high grav beers.

Back