Quantcast

What yeast for cider?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

jacksonbrown

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 10, 2008
Messages
1,180
Reaction score
8
Location
Madison, WI
A friend asked me if I could cider for them. Having never tried, I said I'd give it a shot. I plan on using this recipe, but was wondering if wheat yeast is necessary. Has anyone made something similar using a different yeast variety, like champagne? What's a good yeast for cider?
 

homebrewer_99

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2005
Messages
19,578
Reaction score
1,193
Location
I-80, Exit 27 (near the Quad Cities)
A wheat yeast has an attenuation of about 75% while leaving 25% residual sugars which will result in a naturally sweet cider.

A champagne yeast will attenuate higher resulting in a drier, but higher alcohol percentage, cider.

The choice is yours.
 

Freezeblade

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 25, 2008
Messages
1,415
Reaction score
45
Location
Oakland, California
my suggestion is a yeast of the english kind, as they seem not to go as dry and also retain quite a bit of fruityness. Grab up a pack of s-04 and pitch it in. YMMV
 

bad coffee

Well-Known Member
Lifetime Supporter
Joined
Jun 28, 2008
Messages
5,152
Reaction score
498
Location
NYC
I've used WLP 775, Montrachet, and Cote de Blanc.

The 775 makes a really nice, really dry english cider. There's hardly any sweetness in the cider at all.

Montrachet makes the cider pretty winey. I'm not sure I'll use it again for cider. For actual apfelwein, I'll definitely use it.

Cote is on the juice right now, and samples have been good. We'll see once it ages.

B
 

syd138

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 18, 2008
Messages
538
Reaction score
4
Location
Chicago, IL
Ive made apfelwein with EC-1118.. very dry champaige taste

RC-212 nice sweet flavor

wlp300.. also pretty sweet.. Id go with this since its a cider.
 
Top