What y'all think about this pale ale recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmcwood

Reaction score
I am just trying to use up some extra ingredients and came up with this pale ale. What do you guys think? Thanks for the tips!! :mug:

Boil Size: 7.24 gal
Post Boil Volume: 6.24 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 4.25 gal
Estimated OG: 1.058 SG
Estimated Color: 9.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 44.7 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 90.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
10 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 94.3 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 2 4.7 %
1.6 oz Chocolate (Briess) (350.0 SRM) Grain 3 0.9 %
0.75 oz Warrior [15.00 %] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop 4 39.9 IBUs
0.19 oz Amarillo [9.20 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 5 2.0 IBUs
0.19 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 6 2.8 IBUs
0.19 oz Amarillo [9.20 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 7 0.0 IBUs
0.19 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 8 0.0 IBUs

I'd personally try to get some more flavor/aroma hops given that you're only at 3/4 of an oz (assuming this is aiming for an APA, you using an American ale yeast?). I think it will be on the amber side, which is fine. I'm wondering if you've got your settings correct, do you really lose a full 2 gal between the end of the boil and packaging?

Your 0 min additions won't do much for you. You can make those an ounce each for aroma/flavor without increasing bitterness. Leave out the chocolate.

If the goal is to use up the chocolate & C60, that's fine. If that's what you have on hand for hops, that's okay too, I guess, but me - I'd get more hops for late additions &/or dry hopping.

Thanks for the quick reply. I will be using US 05!for the yeast. As for BeerSmith, I just bought the software so I'm not surprised some of the settings are a bit off; I usually end up with right about 5 gallons. I have a ton more simco and Amarillo, I will bump up each of the 0 minute additions to 1oz. I have never dry hopped with either of those hops, will they work well with this recipe? Thanks for the help!

You'll probably get a good drinkable beer here, but it may be more of a brown ale than a pale ale. That said, if thats what you're looking for, great; go for it. But, if a nice pale aleis what you're after, I'd remove the chocolate and up the hops at the end. 2oz at 10 and 0, minimum.

Good luck!

Also, I don't have to use the chocolate, the speciality grains I have on hand now are 60L, chocolate, flaked barley, Amber, and aromatic. I just thought the chocolate might add a nice color.

Thanks for the quick reply. I will be using US 05!for the yeast. As for BeerSmith, I just bought the software so I'm not surprised some of the settings are a bit off; I usually end up with right about 5 gallons. I have a ton more simco and Amarillo, I will bump up each of the 0 minute additions to 1oz. I have never dry hopped with either of those hops, will they work well with this recipe? Thanks for the help!

I think they'd be great for this recipe!

I would dry hop with at least an 1oz of each but probably do 2oz of each if you have plenty on hand. and do 5 days for amarillo and 3 days for simcoe. I like a really hoppy beer. :ban:

I think it's fine if you want to use the chocolate up, I've used that amount in ambers/reds before for color. You could even throw in a touch of amber and/or aromatic for complexity if want to go the amber ale route. Amarillo and Simcoe are a very popular combo, so as the others said dry hop away if you've got 'em!
:mug:

Back