What would you offer for this CL brew rig?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ddemaagd

Reaction score
This is copy and pasted from the ad. I didn't put the asking price bc I didn't want any answers to be skewed by it.

I sold all my all grain brew stuff last year before moving to Spain. I am back in the US now and want to get back into the hobby, even more seriously this time.

Also, what sorts of questions should I ask the seller??

Here it is-->>>> Thanks guys!!!

converted 15.5 gallon hot liquor tank KEG
three welded fittings
ball valve, sight glass with custom copper shroud, Blichmann Brewmometer , copper pick up tube

converted 15.5 gallon keggle KEG
ball valve and bazooka tube

10 gallon mash tun converted round igloo
false bottom and ball valve

custom enclosed march pump plumbed with copper and wired
gfc cord

copper counter flow chiller with Goodyear red high temp hose and ball valve

two bayou classic burners with high pressure regulator and black pipe plumped
custom wood brew stand that's made great beer for the last four years

Thanks JonW. I agree... He is asking much more, however and don't think he'd take $300.

Any other thoughts? What would you offer? How much do you think it's worth?

Since I'm not handy at all, I'd go higher. Probably $500-$700 if it's in good shape. I paid $1500 for my all-electric stand with SSRs and PID controller. For a wooden stand with gas burners, I would NOT go over $800 unless it was a perfect stand.

Thanks Yooper and Homebeerbrewer.

Any questions I should ask him before driving out to take a look at it?

I'll post some pics once he sends me a few.

$75 - converted 15.5 gallon hot liquor tank KEG
$50 - converted 15.5 gallon keggle KEG
$25 - 10 gallon mash tun converted round igloo
$75 - custom enclosed march pump plumbed with copper and wired
$25 - copper counter flow chiller with Goodyear red high temp hose and ball
$50 - two bayou classic burners with high pressure regulator and black pipe $50 - custom wood brew stand that's made great beer for the last four years

Here's the costs I attribute to it. This totals $350, so I was saying under $300 would be a steal. I came to these prices as it is all obviously used and sounds like it is all DIY stuff with copper and not a lot of SS. You can do it yourself pretty inexpensively if you're patient with finding the parts.

Here's my appraisal:

2 Sankey Keg kettles: $150
Blichmann Brewmometer: 50
10 Gallon Round Cooler: 50
March Pump: 100
CFC: 75
2 Bayou Classic Burners: 75
Wood Stand: 50
Total Value: $550

I'd say if you could get the stuff for $400 or less you'd be coming out pretty good. A lot depends on the condition of everything and how deluxe the wooden stand is. Only you can make a call on that. My pricing above is based on the fact that it's used equipment, so some depreciation has been factored in. It would probably cost you considerably more than that to acquire and put everything together yourself. OTOH, you could possibly scrounge up some of the stuff, do without some of it and get low ball deals on other stuff if you spend some time shopping around.

I would offer him 75% of what he is asking, not to exceed $400, but if, and only if, you really want the stuff. JMO...nothing more.

Any questions I should ask him before driving out to take a look at it?

I'll post some pics once he sends me a few.

I'd ask him to have it set up just as he'd use it. Fill the HLT with water, pump it around, and check for leaks. I'm sure that if he's been using it, there aren't any leaks, but you never know until you test it. Plus, putting the pump through it's paces is a good idea.

Also, being a wooden stand, check to see if there's any burning, or even just browning, of the wood. If so, you'll need to replace it, or keep a fire extinguisher in hand at all times when the burners are on.

Great advice guys. Appreciate it.

He is asking 1,000 or best offer. Obviously 1000 is way, way too much. I was thinking closer to $500. The only problem is I've been keeping my eye out on CL and haven't found much in the past few months....

$1000 !!! Yes it's way too much. I think the guy is looking for a sucker. Run away right now. I would not even bother to offer him a low ball number.

$1000 !!! Yes it's way too much. I think the guy is looking for a sucker. Run away right now. I would not even bother to offer him a low ball number.

Heck, for only twice that much you could get a fancy Sabco or something. I'd pass.

Like I said, I'd go higher than these guys, IF it's a good working set up. You'd easily spend $500 yourself putting it together, and if it's a really nice set up, I'd go up to $700 if it was PERFECT.

It also depends on how quickly you want to get back into brewing. Buying a complete setup like this will be a quick way to jump back in. But, if you aren't in a hurry, you could search craigslist, ebay, and freecycle for what you need. Most of what I have now was through craigslist, and although I don't have exact numbers on what I spent, I bet that I'm in for right around $500. It took me about 6 months to get all the parts and pieces together, but building it was part of the fun.

So yeah, if you want a "turn key" setup, then maybe $700 would be a decent figure.

I would wait several days, call him back and make another offer of $450. Then, if he turns it down, I'd leave him my phone number and ask him to call if he changes his mind. I think he would call back in about one week and close the deal if he had not sold it by then. Not saying that this is what you should do, just what I would do if I were in your shoes.

I would wait several days, call him back and make another offer of $450. Then, if he turns it down, I'd leave him my phone number and ask him to call if he changes his mind. I think he would call back in about one week and close the deal if he had not sold it by then. Not saying that this is what you should do, just what I would do if I were in your shoes.

Offer him $450 after he already offered $500? If I were the seller I would walk away from that. I would be concerned that when he came to pick it up he would lower his offer even further, and waste my time.

Not that there is one "right" way to do it, lol.

Update.

I offered him 500. He said he could do 600 and throw in a 100 lb propane tank. I also habe some pics now

I'd take that. I wonder if it's "his" propane tank though. I know my 100 pound ones have the gas company name on the sides. Either way, take the deal. That's a good deal!

Back