What would you do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twistr25

Reaction score
Not so much a beginner's brewing question, I've been going for 6 years, but there are still some cool things out there I don't know about. First, some info about my setup. I have a 16 gal kettle, nice wort chiller, 10 gal Mash Tun, gas burner etc. I don't really have the space for pumps, etc. at the moment. I do have a ferment chamber and pretty nice keezer. Point of all of this, I won a $100 gift card to Amazon, and not sure what I should get with it. I'm toying with the idea of a RaspberryPi, but wanted to know what other cool gadgets might be out there. Not really looking at a refractometer either as I believe my hydrometer works pretty well for what I need, unless you can convince me otherwise.

Thanks for all the wisdom this site offers! Prost!

A pH meter is on my gadget list, despite concerns about maintenance. Once we buy the next place, itll be time for a whole new system, so the list is long :ban:

A pH meter is on my gadget list, despite concerns about maintenance. Once we buy the next place, itll be time for a whole new system, so the list is long :ban:
Do want to start some sours, but not sure I have the space currently for dedicated equipment, but that is a good thought as well.

I would spring for the refractometer.
It’s probably the least expensive tool that has improved my beer & brew day.
No wasted wort, no waiting for wort to cool to get OG. I’ve taken readings mid boil & used it on yeast starters...
I only use my hydrometer for FG readings. (Then drink the beer) [emoji482]

I've learned to use my refractometer every brew day. Do I need it, no. It does tell me that my mash efficiency is good and hasn't changed and I can grab a quick sample at any time during the mash to determine if it is done or still going.

Do you have a mill? That's on my list.
I used to, but I can't currently store bulk grain, and my lhbs does a pretty good job, so I usually just buy it the day or two before I brew and have it milled there

Is there any way you can get someone to give you $100 for it and then you're not limited to Amazon?

As to ideas....how about an oxygenation wand and regulator?

Another idea is whether you can sell off some piece of equipment to raise funds for an upgrade. I have the Jaded Hydra chiller, it's just a beast. Costly, but if you sold off your current chiller might it get you close enough that you can add a couple dollars to make up the difference?

I've done from boiling to low 70s in 4 minutes using the Hydra. That's with a 5-gallon batch.

Last edited by a moderator:
This one is intriguing. Wonder if you can code it to a raspberry pi to control the temp too.

Its only a matter of time before one of the brains on here does a write up to make that happen....

Jaded Hydra chiller, it's just a beast...I've done from boiling to low 70s in 4 minutes using the Hydra. That's with a 5-gallon batch.

Really? I thought I was doing good with ~ 8 minutes. Is this just with ground temp water? Do you whirlpool too?

Really? I thought I was doing good with ~ 8 minutes. Is this just with ground temp water? Do you whirlpool too?

Ground water temp makes a difference, but two other things are just as important: one is that you run that water as fast as it will go, and the other is that you do something to move the wort past the coils. I've done both stirring w/ a long-handled spoon and whirlpooling.

Ground water temp makes a difference, but two other things are just as important: one is that you run that water as fast as it will go, and the other is that you do something to move the wort past the coils. I've done both stirring w/ a long-handled spoon and whirlpooling.
Thats really fast. I pre-chill my ground water through an immersion chiller (in ice bath) then through couterflow with whirlpooling. Might have to do some re-configuring...

Back