What Would YOU Do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tertiary w/ Gelatin?

• Yeah, rack to a 3rd vessel, add gelatin and cold-crash for a few days before kegging.

• Add gelatin to the secondary with the hops still in there.

• Don't worry about it, just rack to the keg now.

• Rack to keg and add gelatin there.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Evan!

Reaction score
I've been dryhopping an IPA for almost a week and I'm just about ready to keg it. But I'm not sure what to do first. I'd like to clear it up with some gelatin and cold-crashing first, but I know that the more I x-fer, the more beer I lose. So if it were you, would you skip the gelatin, or go for it?

I say just put it in the keg.
unless its for a competition or for the snobbiest beer drinker, clearing is nice, but taste and having enough to enjoy it for awhile are more important.

I do put some weight on clarity, but I still think you should rack to the keg now. As long as you can show some restraint, just clod crash it in the keg, and let it naturally clear at cold temps for 2 weeks. After the two weeks, pour out a pitcher in one straight pour and you will remove most of the junk that has fallen out leaving you very clear beer. Maybe not as clear as a tertiary with gelatin, but you will have less risk and more beer!

I think any of these choices would work just fine in the end.

If you are going to keg, cold crash, and then "pour out a pitcher in one straight pour" at first to clear it off, you might as well rack it. Your aren't going to lose a pitchers worth by racking it again.

I said keg it and don't worry about it. Now that you've dry hopped it you're on a very short window of time before all that nice aroma you added is driven off in an open vessel like a clearing tank.

bradsul said:
I said keg it and don't worry about it. Now that you've dry hopped it you're on a very short window of time before all that nice aroma you added is driven off in an open vessel like a clearing tank.

word. thnx. makes a lot of sense, hadn't even thought about dat! :mug:

MNBugeater said:
If you are going to keg, cold crash, and then "pour out a pitcher in one straight pour" at first to clear it off, you might as well rack it. Your aren't going to lose a pitchers worth by racking it again.
Who said you had to throw away that pitcher? :drunk:

Personally I don't waste any of my beer by leaving a swig in the bottom of the bottle. I just swig it down.

Craig

I don't think clearing is overrated, but it depends on the style. A well dry-hopped IPA should be at least a bit cloudy, IMO.

I agree that clear beer is over rated. It is nice - it adds to the drinking experience. But to be honest - I don't really put too much weight to it. Also, you want to start enjoying those hop aromas before they start to fade away.

bradsul said:

+1

But, I think the gelatin may drag some of that hop flavor and aroma out of it. And you will see the beer clear up anyway.

eff it. racked to keg this morning with a nylon bag tied to the end of my racking tube. worked wonders, as always...the beer was actually quite clear, even without crash cooling or gelatin.

+1 on cold crashing the secondary for a couple of days and racking to keg.

But I may be confused by my noobishness.

bradsul wrote:
Now that you've dry hopped it you're on a very short window of time before all that nice aroma you added is driven off in an open vessel like a clearing tank.
I thought that the secondary was the clearing tank and was not an open vessel (it has an airlock.) What am I missing?

anoldur said:
...I thought that the secondary was the clearing tank and was not an open vessel (it has an airlock.) What am I missing?
The airlock keeps things from entering, not from leaving. So as the dry hopped aroma leaves the beer it just escapes into the atmosphere.

the_bird said:
Can't you add gelatin right to the keg? Isn't that what BierMuncher does?

Yeah, I guess you could, which is why it was one of my poll options---though, that first pint might be chock full of hog skin, natch. :cross:

the_bird said:
Isn't that what BierMuncher does?
Do you really want to do what BierMuncher does?
7451-RIS_94.jpg

Sorry... couldn't resist. It is April Fool's day after all. :cross:

I routinely add gelatin to all of my kegs, and carbonate with corn sugar too. Never had a problem and get nice clear beers. Only once have I noticed chunks of gelatin and that was a time I knew I cooled it too much before adding to the keg.

bradsul said:
The airlock keeps things from entering, not from leaving. So as the dry hopped aroma leaves the beer it just escapes into the atmosphere.

That is true only when the pressure inside the fermenter is greater than the pressure outside. If the pressure is equal (or close enough not to push the stuff around in the airlock), then nothing gets in or out.

TL

TexLaw said:
That is true only when the pressure inside the fermenter is greater than the pressure outside. If the pressure is equal (or close enough not to push the stuff around in the airlock), then nothing gets in or out.
The dry hop aroma still leaves the beer, making the dry hopping just a waste of time and hops.

Edit: Assuming we're still talking about the dry hopping side, if your comment was about the fermenter in general then I definitely agree. :mug:

Back