What would you do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kskiles

Reaction score
Brewing today, an American Style Pilsner. All went well until I got to the wort chill. Put the immersion chiller in and opened the spigot. Phone rang and went to answer it. Came back 3 minutes later only to find that I had a leak around where the hose connected to the chiller and I had my pre-boil volume of liquid in my brew pot.

Reheat the entire volume, boil out the liquid and rechill?

Scrap the batch?

A better idea (FORD)?

3 minutes later the liquid was probably still high temp, and you would potentially have to top off anyways if it was extract. I'd just go with it.

No, it was down to about 130. 3 min was a guess as to how long it was. All grain brew to answer that part.

Oof. I'd boil it down, maybe add some DME if you added any post-bittering hops. I haven't done a pilsner yet, so I don't know how a typical hop schedule goes, but a cursory search tells me you're going to want some more malt to balance the extra bitterness that would develop.

OTOH, do you treat your water to get rid of chloramines? I must, and if I (hypothetically) accidentally got more than a quart of tap water in I'd pitch the batch rather than drink bandaid beer.

Probably about a gallon of water was added.

I am boiling it back down. Good idea to add some DME to help offset the Saaz Hops that were added at 30 min and flameout.

OK "Charlie"!. I would have a homebrew except my keg of pale ale kicked this afternoon as I was making this batch.

I boiled about 3 qts out of this and I am going to re-chill (post repairs) and take it from there. I am sure I will be short on the OG but S_ _t happens!

I had to fix my wort chiller because of a minor leak at the hose-copper junction--we used teflon tape to seal it up nice and tight with the pipe clamp.

Thanks all for the quick replies. I boiled the extra liquid out of it. I added a cup of DME co compensate for the late addition hops. I was shooting for 1.058 OG and finished with 1.054.

I look forward to hearing how it tastes! How long did the add'l boil take? Did you add any extra hops at (second) flameout?

Well, this beer is still fermenting. I did a Diacetyl rest for a couple of days this past weekend and have moved it back into cooler temps. Will post final gravity and such when it becomes available.

Sorry, I did not answer elves questions. It took about 35 minutes to boil out the excess. I did not add any extra hops, only about 1 cup of DME to try to offset the added bitterness from the extended hop boil time.

Back