What would you do if...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhltechie

Reaction score
hey all,

As I have progressed along the brewing process i am finding that I need more fermentation space. Right now I can only hold 2 5G carboys in my chamber and it does struggle sometimes with the temp. usually getting it down to ferm temp after its help above 72 before ferm starts. You can see what I did in this thread:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-ferm-chamber-135653/

What I wanna know is, if you had an entire room in your house that you could dedicate to just fermenting beer...what would you do? the idea of a chest freezer is out. i can barely lift a full 5G carboy to get it onto the counter much less pull it out of a freezer. build something? cabinet like? Just looking for ideas. It'd be even better if i had two separate areas so I could put my carboy that i have just brewed and isnt fermenting yet into....as well as keeping my other carboys at a colder temp.

TIA,

M :mug:

I've seen a lot of people taking the door off of a minifridge and building an extension around the opening. Just make sure the whole chamber is insulated and sealed. With a minifridge, you could probably make something that'll fit like 4 carboys maybe? Not sure.

EDIT: sorry, this is exactly the setup you have already. I didn't check out the link before posting, oops! You could try something like this post. Looks like it has the larger capacity that you're looking for and you could probably build dividers for different temperature ranges.

Last Edit I swear: I forgot the link I was referring to. Here it is right here

As for lifting a carboy, I found a Brew Hauler makes a big difference in my confidence in moving them around. You might see if that makes the chest freezer more feasible.

As for lifting a carboy, I found a Brew Hauler makes a big difference in my confidence in moving them around. You might see if that makes the chest freezer more feasible.

The Brew Hauler does help....but i am seriously weak. lol i cant imagine lifting that thing out!

You sound willing to build. You can overcome the lifting issue with a simple rack & winch system. Then just go with the freezer idea.

Somewhere there is a video of a guy with an "mini overhead crane". He doesn't even have to lift the brewpot off of the stove. You wouldn't have to get that elaborate. Maybe even a rack and pulley. I'm just saying that if you address the lifting issue the rest would be easy.

take that empty room, make it a workout room and (wo)man up!

:p

what about buiding the minifridge/fermentation chamber on a table of sorts...less lifting.

LOL....thanks. i dont lift much unless it has to do with beer....gotta save up my energies! lol

now the other idea sounds promising.

Back