What would make the better wort chiller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lordrath1069

Reaction score
I have the option of building a chiller using either 50' of 1/4" copper pipe or 20' of 3/8" copper pipe. Which one will give me the best results? I would be using these (currently) to chill about 3.5 gallons of wort at a time.

For 3.5 gallons either of those would work very well, I think. I would choose whichever can be made smaller to fit in 3.5 gallons of wort and whichever is easier to work with. Jaded Brewing did some tests with different lengths/diameters of chillers that may be of some use for you:

Jaded Brewing Comparisons

They didn't use 1/4" tubing, but you can read something into the jump between 3/8" to 1/2" to get a feel for what 1/4" to 3/8" might get you (fairly similar IMO). Again, I assume either choice will work fine.

I can get the 1/4" for free where I would need to buy the 3/8" (tho it would be around $14 so not much) so if the 1/4" will work fine I will probably stick with that. Loving the feedback tho, keep it comin fellas! :)

I can get the 1/4" for free where I would need to buy the 3/8" (tho it would be around $14 so not much) so if the 1/4" will work fine I will probably stick with that. Loving the feedback tho, keep it comin fellas! :)

I vote 1/4" then. Also, I prefer to use braided PVC tubing for connecting to the copper. It is a little stiffer and more expensive, but I find it doesn't kink, deform, and get eaten up by hose clamps as much as the cheaper vinyl tubing, and is much more forgiving if it come in contact with your kettle while your burner is roaring.

I vote 1/4" then. Also, I prefer to use braided PVC tubing for connecting to the copper. It is a little stiffer and more expensive, but I find it doesn't kink, deform, and get eaten up by hose clamps as much as the cheaper vinyl tubing, and is much more forgiving if it come in contact with your kettle while your burner is roaring.

Good Idea! If the inner diameter of the PVC tubing is 1/4" will that fit snugly or do I want a 3"8" inner diameter and then clamp it secure to the 1/4" copper?

Good Idea! If the inner diameter of the PVC tubing is 1/4" will that fit snugly or do I want a 3"8" inner diameter and then clamp it secure to the 1/4" copper?

I use 1/4" ID with my 1/4" copper tubing. Heat up some water in the microwave, dip the tubing in for a bit, then slide it on and clamp tight. You can always check at Ace Hardware for peace of mind. They have 1/4" copper tubing and 1/4" braided PVC.

Latest posts

Back