What would lead to crazy carbonation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JG81

Reaction score
So I finished my Guinness clone. The taste is really solid, but whenever I open a bottle, it is fine for about 40 seconds than starts foaming like crazy and overflowing. What would lead to that?

Ho long has it been in the fridge? If it's been less than 48 hours, the CO2 might not be totally in solution yet. Other possibilities include:

1) Bottling too soon
2) Too much priming sugar
3) Inadequately mixed priming sugar
4) Infection

You may not have waited until fermentation was complete. How many days in a row were your gravity readings the same?

Since it's fine when you first open it, but then foams up like crazy, it sounds like a gusher infection. I'd step up the sanitation for next time, perhaps bleach bombing all glass, especially bottles, before reusing.

Since it's fine when you first open it, but then foams up like crazy, it sounds like a gusher infection. I'd step up the sanitation for next time, perhaps bleach bombing all glass, especially bottles, before reusing.

I think Yooper hit it on the head. I made an Oatmeal Stout last year that would give 4th grade science projects a run for their money. Every time I popped a top it took about 2-5 seconds and turned into a geyser of about a foot high from the top of the bottle.

I actually had mold on the fermenter when I opened it to move to bottles. None was actually in the beer, just around the top of the lid, so I decided to try bottling it anyway. The bottles were clean, and I wasn't ready to toss 5 gallons of stout. I sanitized meticulously, but living in Hawaii (mold/bacteria prone climate) I think the buckets developed scratches that allowed the spores to leech into the plastic.

The 1/4 of the bottle that didn't turn to foam was drinkable at first, not really good or anything, but I had to at least taste it. Well as I let them sit over an additional month, they all became geysers and started developing more and more off tastes.

Tastes fine and looks fine. Just crazy foamy

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back