What would happen if you put ice cream in the mash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bhamade

Reaction score
I assume it'd need to be fat free ice cream, but do you think it would ferment?

Yes it would ferment. I don't think you'd notice in the final product unless you added a lot. A few scoops aren't going to contribute any noticeable flavor (IMO of course). I don't think it would have any sort of negative effect at all, so go for it.

If you do, document the process, and let us know how it turns out. If you don't mind having no head retention, go for the real stuff with fat in it. As long as it gets boiled with the wort it shouldn't pose a threat to your health.
Do a small batch first, or get really drunk and go for it.

Search around for Lactomel - mead made with honey & milk products :)

Then do it and report back :D

The lactose part of it wouldn't ferment. It'd be interesting to see if a lot of ice cream would cause it to be sweet from the lactose or dry from the sugar.

You'd be better off just adding some vanilla & oats to a cream ale or milk stout & bumping up the crystal malt.

I think the it would curdel in the mash and only the suger would be left?.... eewh....

It'll throw off your mash temp. I don't think the Green Bay Rackers' calculator has a field for that. :p

Seriously - if you want an ice creamy flavor in your beer, add lactose to the boil.

Back