What would happen if I double the Malt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kramer

Reaction score
....and this is going to make me sound dumb, I'm sure.... If I used 13lbs of malt extract and double the yeast in a 5-gallon wort?

Add more hops, add more oxygen, and add even more yeast.

13lbs of liquid extract will bump your OG up to 1.093 from 1.047, and will drop your IBU's.

It will be one SWEET beer. Yeast has a hard time fermenting all-malt high gravity beers. Once you get past 1.075 it would be a good idea to add simpler sugars to the boil to increase fermentability.

+1 on the comments above. You will need to compensate for

1. IBUs. Need to add more than double the hops to keep the beer balanced

2. yeast quanity and perhaps type. You will need a big fat yeast starter of a fairly well attenuating yeast to dry the bad boy out.

3. oxygenate the crap out of that wort

It will be one SWEET beer. Yeast has a hard time fermenting all-malt high gravity beers. Once you get past 1.075 it would be a good idea to add simpler sugars to the boil to increase fermentability.
+1. Such as corn sugar.

You don't need a starter if you are pitching dry yeast. Although, you will want to pitch more packets. Probably 2-3. Use the mrmalty.com yeast pitch rate calculator.

Wait... like what if I did this by accident and now what do I do? Otherwise, I can't imagine you'd do something like that on purpose. Most recipes are intended to balance multiple flavors, aromas, etc. to achieve something that is actually drinkable. Doubling one component (malt) of a recipe seems like a really bad idea to me.

I do it a lot. The cooper's cans I use are 1.7kg (3.75lb),& add 3lbs plain DME to that. It's not like 6-7 pounds of each.however. The can is pre-hopped with bittering only,the bag is plain (un-hopped),& I add 2oz of different hops in the typical ales. My IPA got 6oz. And they run 5.3% to 5.9%ABV,so that's a good range. I like good flavor without being too heavy so we can drink more than 1 or 2.

Back