What would happen if I added Crystal 60L to this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ILOVEBEER

Reaction score
I am brewing this today and have ~1lb of crystal 60L left over....wanted to know if it would change it all that much and how....thanks

Blonde Ale

****10-Gallon Batch****
Batch Size: 11.00 gal
Boil Size: 13.69 gal
Estimated OG: 1.039 SG
Estimated Color: 3.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 21.6 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
14.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
1.25 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM)

0.50 oz Centennial [9.50%] (55 min)
0.50 oz Centennial [9.50%] (35 min)
0.50 oz Cascade [7.80%] (20 min)
0.50 oz Cascade [7.80%] (5 min)

It would take the color from 4.1 SRM to 7.4 SRM, and it would take your OG from 1.043 to 1.046, assuming 70% efficiency.

Makes it slightly dark for the style, which calls for 3.0-6.0 SRM. I'd maybe add half a pound if you want to keep to style guidelines. If not, just call it a Dirty Blonde.

Also keep in mind that the gravity increase will be mostly unfermentable sugars, so it will add body to the mouthfeel and sweetness to the flavor.

I think for now I might keep it as is.....it is someone else's recipe and they have perfected it. I didn't think that 1 lb of C60L would change the SRM so much. Coincidentaly, did you guys use software to come to the conclusion in changes?

Thanks for the help!

It appears that HomerJR might have thrown it onto one of the brewing software choices, but he could have done it the old fashioned way as well. I simply gave you a generalization...didn't drive down to the details. Adding a pound of 60L crystal to a blonde is definitely going to have an impact on color, body and residual sweetness.

I did indeed use BeerSmith. The old fashioned way would have required me to look up the formula in a book. Haven't had a beer yet today, so I was not up to the challenge. Maybe later though....

Back