What would doubling vienna malt do to a amber ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Likefully

Reaction score
I want to try this recipe because the ale looks good.

www.beersmith.com/Recipes2/recipe_22.htm

For $32 I can get all the ingredients but will have a lot of excess because of the size of the bags each different grain comes in. I live in South Africa so buying options are limited (in comparison to being in the US).

For an extra $9 I can get an extra 5lbs of pale malt and a pack of yeast and then would be able to repeat the recipe but with 7.5lbs of pale malt (instead of 9) and 3lbs of Vienna Malt (instead of 1.5).

Would this be over ultra malty or nicely malty? Or should I rather just keep the excess grain and wait until I find other recipes to use it?

It would unbalance the recipe and increase the ABV unless you also get more hops and brew a larger patch. beersmith2 can help you get it back on track if you want to increase the batch size.

It would unbalance the recipe and increase the ABV unless you also get more hops and brew a larger patch. beersmith2 can help you get it back on track if you want to increase the batch size.

He's substituting 1.5lb Vienna for 1.5lb 2row, not adding additional grain.

To the OP, it would be a welcomed change to that recipe for me. I've brewed an ipa with 100% Vienna and it wasn't overly malty, it was probably my favorite beer. This would be a great way to learn what kind of influence a small change to the grain bill has on the final product.

Opps sorry to much glare on the tablet. HBT app needs bolder type for my aging eyes i guess.

My current amber (in the keg) has 3 lbs of Vienna in the grain bill. It's delicious.

Back