What was your first job?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talleymonster

Reaction score
I think I remeber seeing a thread some time ago about what everybody does for a living.

Well, what about your FIRST job?

My first official job started the day of my 16th birthday. I got a job as a burger flipper at Sonic Drive In (burger joint).

but I had several jobs throughout high school. I was:
  • A dishwasher at a truck stop (for about 7 hours, then I quit)
  • A waiter at Crackerbarrel (Old country style food)
  • A Nutritional Student at a Hospital (nice way of saying I was a cafeteria worker)
  • A prep cook, and then eventually a line cook at a Hospital.
So what about your FIRST job?

My first job was a paperboy for the Berkshire Eagle when I was 12. Every morning before school and on the weekends, 364 days a year (no paper on Christmas). Papers were expected to be delivered by 7am, and I walked/rode my bike the whole way. Didn't get my parents to drive me like the kids in my neighborhood. I may or may not be bitter about that :). I did that until I went to college at 18 ...

Then when I was 16 I worked at Stop & Shop as a cashier and then became a stockboy. Worked there until I was 18 as well ...

My very first job would technically be an umpire (baseball). I started that when I was about 12 I think. First job in highschool was a grocery clerk, then I started programming software for money instead of fun while still in highschool and never looked back.

My first paying job was after school in a bakery.

I washed a couple hundred 24x36 baking sheets every afternoon, and scraped goop of the freestanding mixers. At the end of the day I would sweep out the oven with a broom after it had cooled off some.

It sounds a lot better now, it sucked then.

first paying job in high school was the cleaner/prep for the science dept.
then stock boy at a&p
then security guard while taking night school.
then assistant junior accountant at agnew surpass shoe stores head office(hated it)
bookkeeper at a john deere dealership
then and currently parts manager at a different john deere dealership(15 years in aug/08)

First job (other than mowing my grandfather's lawn) was raking leaves in the cemetary when I was 14. I could only work for two weeks until it was time to mow, because you needed to be 16 to operate machinery more dangerous than a rake (the old man who hired me though I was 15). Think I made $120 for the two weeks (something like $4 an hour).

First job in high school was Burger King for a year. Another year, and I think I could have been manager. Then I moved up to a grocery store stock clerk, followed by 4 summers during my college years working at a ceramic tile factory.

For a summer job when I was 13 I rode shotgun in a Maytag appliance delivery van. I would load and unload the truck and set up the simple stuff for $4 an hour. Was a good job.

Then I washed dishes, waited tables, was a roofer, and finally a line cook until I graduated high school.

Dishwasher at a BBQ joint at the age of 14, worked there for 5 years eventually Assistant Pit-master in the smokehouse.

Age 15, Saturday morning city park cleanup crew, $8/hour for the summer.
First steady part-time age 16, usher at a movie theater. That was a FUN job. It was a really old theater that started out as a playhouse. We used to sneak away to the backstage area, drink mad dog 20/20 and get lucky with all the concession chicks. Man, to be young again.

Bobby_M said:
Age 15, Saturday morning city park cleanup crew, $8/hour for the summer.
First steady part-time age 16, usher at a movie theater. That was a FUN job. It was a really old theater that started out as a playhouse. We used to sneak away to the backstage area, drink mad dog 20/20 and get lucky with all the concession chicks. Man, to be young again.

Now that's my kind of high school job!!!:D

I was a webmaster when I was 16 for collegiate collectables. $200 a week for 15-20 hours a week. Twas my first job and was great til I got fired. Then a chicken restaurant, McDonalds, lots of freelance work and pizza delivery. Pizza deliver was awesome, averaged about $12 an hour after gas and taxes.

EDIT: Oh yea and worked at a carmike cinemas for about a year.

My first paying job was in a construction site. I was about 90 pounds, 14 years old, mixing cement and laying concrete blocks. After that, I worked in a Dairy Queen until leaving for college and the Army. To this day, I despise ice cream.

Hmmm my first paying job was with family in construction, I started as an apprentice framer at 13 for summer work. None family would be Baskin and Robbins Ice Cream a friend and I from school turned ice cream dishing into something similar to the movie Cocktail. We learned how to scoop ice cream just right so you could throw it. We use to put on quite a show. :ban:

Hmmm, waiter in a pretty decent little restaurant until they realized that I probably shouldn't be allowed near the general public and put me back in the kitchen. That's where I began to learn to cook. After that came a couple of summer jobs as a fry cook at a Taco Bell (back when they actually cooked stuff on premises) and Cap'n D's. Cooked my way through college, too.

First real job was as a typesetter. I believe I'm among the last generation to have set hot type.

Chad

Chad said:
First real job was as a typesetter. I believe I'm among the last generation to have set hot type

I hate to make you feel old, but what's a Typesetter?:p

I was a stock boy for See's candy while I was in high school.
I kept the shelves stocked and packed candy in the back room. I also ran the cash register when it got busy. We would get shipments of candy in during Christmas that would fill the entire back room. You couldn't even move back there!
Back then, you could eat all the candy you wanted. They make the best candy I ever tasted so I definitely ate my fair share! Damn if I did that now I would weigh 300 plus!

Looking Back I've had some diverse jobs:
  • Laborer on a Road Construction Crew - Shoveling backtop, roller operator
  • Small Engine Mechanic - Repairing Servicing John Deere Lawn Mowers and Tractors
  • Draftsman's Apprentice - Structural Engineering Firm, the office lackey
  • ACME/ALBERTSON'S Stock Boy - Stocked the shelves of a local grocery store
  • Construction Worker - Did everything from building/framing new walls, mixing concrete, welding rebar for foundation walls, you name it
  • Short Order Cook - In a South Philly Bar in College
  • Fabricator - Welder, Designer, Mechanic at a Hot Rod Garage
  • Factory Worker - Stood for lifeless hours watching fabric run through Teflon in the middle of no-where
  • Dishwasher/Prep Cook - Restaurant in the nice setting of the New England States.
  • Draftsman/Project Manager - for a Decorative Stamped Concrete Company
Currently and finally at my Career
  • Draftsman - Fire, Lighting, and Security Systems Designer
  • Fire Inspector (In Progress) and soon Volunteer Fireman

I was a webmaster when I was 16 for collegiate collectables.
Damn I feel old, When I was 16 the Apple 2E hadn't been invented yet.

First job was Slinging Burgers at Wataburger at 16, Then at the start of the Summer I got a Job as a lifeguard with the city. (Maryvale terrace pool) The girls there were way easier than the ones at Sunnyslope pool

My first job was washing and detailing cars at a car dealership on weekends and during summers through my high school years. I've probably washed a couple thousand cars by hand.

Needless to say, I hate washing cars now, and use car washes exclusively.

First job was stocking and running the till at a local record store, all under the table and sometimes the money was a little greener than usual if you know what i mean. Then i worked at two pizza joints, local bookstore for another year or so till finally i started painting houses and doing siding....that sucks a lot.

Gas Station Attendant. Way before the days of self serve. Used to do the windshield, check the oil and sometimes even the tire pressure. I think gas was like, 33 cents a gallon at the time. Crap! Now I really feel old!:mad:

My first job, too, was as a baseball umpire for the local parks and recreation department when I was 14. I had to get a special work permit that said I had good grades and everything. I moved up through the ranks to supervisor within a year and it was pretty cool 'cause I just sat on my arse at the games.

After that I worked with my best friend in his dad's factory. It was horrendously ****ty 10 hour days, but it was hella fun when we goofed off. Also, it was great to work overtime there...you could whenever you wanted since there was so much business to the company, and got paid that time and a half!

After that I got a job during college summers at B.J.'s wholesale club. After working there, I have no idea how that place stays in business. It was so poorly managed it was absurd. Our store went through 4 GMs in 6 months. When they enticed me with a "promotion" then promptly cut my full-time hours to 12 a week, I walked off the job after seeing the time sheet. Screw them. And screw the term "team members." I'm a gd employee, screw happy, smiley work.

I now get paid to get a Ph.D. It's not millions, but it works :)

I worked in my father's greenhouse since i was a little kid...didn't pay much but hey, i didn't do much work!

My first real jobs were when i turned 16 and got my truck. i delivered pizzas at night and mowed lawns all day during the summer. a friend and i actually started our own business with the lawn mowing.

with tips and everything, i think i was making more money then than i am now...i sure spent it fast!

My dad owned a lumber company when I was a kid. I worked in the mill in the summer months and sometimes in the evening from when I was 15 until I was 19 or so.

My very first job was bagging groceries at Winn Dixie when I was 14 yrs old. I have been employed ever since (not at the same place of course).

Starting when I was in 5th grade I shoveled snow for the secretarial school next to my house during the winter and worked with my BIL on the weekends and during the summer. He's a carpenter and I did all the grunt work. My first real job was at a health food store in the local mall when I was in high school, I learned alot about vitamins, vegans, and hippies while working there....

Paper boy. I was about 12.

I've had a job just about ever since with the exception of a few times in college.

Now that I've graduated, I've had the same job for two and a half years. I still have no idea what I want to do or what I want to be. Are the two different? Yes, I think.

Started bussing tables at 15. Worked my way up to waiting tables by the end of high school.

Funny to think that at 24, I'm still waiting tables even though I have two other jobs and a degree. It's just such easy money.

I hotdipped end mill tips and acid etched the part number on their sides, by hand.

I was 16. Best summer EVER!

:cross:

Paper boy. Started about 10 and had 3 routes by 13. And I worked in the local library re-shelving books.

Mowed yards and such when I was younger. The day I turned 16 I got a job at sonic as a cook.. Worse job I ever had, quit after 5 weeks when I almost got into a fight with another cook who did not like white boys.

Actual first real paying job after delivering papers was a shoe shine boy (early-mid 60s), shelf stocker at a hardware store, shelf stocker/bagger at a grocery store, busboy, bartender, cooks' assistant (not an assistant cook)telegraph deliverer (on a 10-speed) for Western Union, vacuum operator (pulls moisture out of salt water taffy), orderly at the hospital then the Army. . .

Not counting my paper route and lawnmowing jobs when I was 12, I was the guy that put the books back on the shelf at the public library when I was 15. That was the first one that actually provided a paycheck where they took out taxes, etc.

If you don't count paperboy, then it was a this little mom and pop bagel shop when I was 15. Later, I used to go in at 2 am to make the bagels. Best job I ever had.

Southern suburb of Kansas City, Belton.

Greasy spoon called "Snack Shack".

I was a short-order cook. Place was renound for their deep fried tacos and intalian steak sandwiches.

We used to slice the french fried potatoes by hand.

Turns out...the place is still in business and still does a great volume of thier fried tacos.

Back