What variety of hops is this? (it very closely resembles hemp)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trogdor

Reaction score
The following photos were taken last fall. This year I have taken cuttings from
the plant pictured and I am working on keeping them alive till next year.

As you can see, this particular variety of hops is distinctly 5-lobed, although
the leaves spawned on the flower stalks are always distinctly 3-lobed. As my
variety is inconsistent with all the photos i've seen for Humulus japonicus, I am
convinced that this plant is either a very distinct variety of Humulus lupulus, or
a separate species altogether. In this unlikely case I would like it to be named
"Humulus indica" (in reference to Cannabis indica, which it closely resembles).

humulus_lupulus_plant.png

humulus_lupulus_section.png

humulus_lupulus_closeup.png

Welcome to the forum!!!

I don't recognize the hop type, but MJ and hops are in the same family. So the fact that they look alike is easily understood...I did notice the odd number of leaves though...very suspicious looking... :D

I just can't believe you haven't had the five-O at your house, yet.
That is interesting. Where did you get those "hops"?
Have you made beer with them, yet?

Could be Sunbeam, also known as Golden Hops, which is commonly used as an ornamental plant in gardens to cover trellises and things. Don't know that it has much use in brewing.

Well for one this hops isn't golden, it's very green. Google had 2 photos of that breed and they look nothing like mine. As for the location of the plant in the photo, it is inside of a property that is surrounded by the property my friend owns, and yes, it is in plain view of a public alley in the middle of the city. I can only guess how long the plant has been there, but for the 2 seasons I've seen it grow it won the war against the virginia creeper and the grapevine that poke over the fence at the same place (I watched in amazement as the hops gradually completely choked out the virginia creeper that had an early lead). I didn't make beer last year as I was concerned about parasites, but now I've got cuttings growing in a controlled environment so I'm hoping for next year. I'm new to horticulture but I was very impressed with how fast my cuttings were growing in water before the roots even showed up.

It's the vine that's not really a vine that grows like a weed but looks like a different weed...

to my knowledge, while you can graft hops onto hemp successfully, it will not alter the genetics of either the hops or the hemp.

to my knowledge, while you can graft hops onto hemp successfully, it will not alter the genetics of either the hops or the hemp.

Yep--to MY knowledge either--that's why I posted the word of an "expert"...

Recreational Drugs

who has knowledge of such things.

Of course we only have his word on it.

;)
Dick G

your expert indicates that cannabinoids will travel through the hops plant. this is not true.

http://forums.mycotopia.net/grassroots/8539-grafting-hops-cannabis-stock.html said:
In 1975, the research team of Crombie and Crombie grafted hops scions on Cannabis stocks from both hemp and marijuana (Thailand) plants 205. Cannabis scions were also grafted to hops stocks. In both cases, the Cannabis portion of the graft continued to produce its characteristic amounts of cannabinoids when compared to ungrafted controls, but the hops portions of the grafts contained no cannabinoids. This experiment was well-designed and carried out. Sophisticated methods were used for detecting THC, THCV, CBD, CBC, CBN, and CBG. Yet none of these were detected in the hops portions.

your expert indicates that cannabinoids will travel through the hops plant. this is not true.

I agree, but you could graft marijuana stems (including flower buds) onto hemp plants and create hemp-looking plants with thc-producing marijuana flowers. lol

..either way, marijuana should be as legal for us to grow as beer is for us to brew. Keeping it illegal just makes the cartels fat and ruthless. 7,000 people will be murdered by the cartels this year because marijuana's illegal - that's as stupid as making beer illegal again!

jway you need to read a new book that's out called:

"Marijuana is SAFER: So why are we driving people to drink?"

by:
Steve Fox [Marijuana Policy Project]
Paul Armentano [National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws]
Mason Tvert [Safer Alternative For Enjoyable Recreation]
with foreword by Norm Stamper [former Chief of the Seattle Police Department]

ISBN: 1603581448

Nothing special about that plant. I've got hops that sport 1, 3 and 5 lobe leaves, and deeply lobed. Looks like you have multiple bines and a grunch of sidearms. They look fairly short and that narrows the possibilities, but not by much.

A hop bine isn't a vine. Vines can bind to other objects, but hops can only twine, so without something to wrap around, they get very bushy.

Of the nine hops I have, that looks closest to the Nuggett.

jway you need to read a new book that's out called:

"Marijuana is SAFER: So why are we driving people to drink?"

by:
Steve Fox [Marijuana Policy Project]
Paul Armentano [National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws]
Mason Tvert [Safer Alternative For Enjoyable Recreation]
with foreword by Norm Stamper [former Chief of the Seattle Police Department]

ISBN: 1603581448

I think I've heard about that book Trogdor. Doesn't it say something like alcohol kills 100,000 people every year while marijuana's never killed anybody?

That sounds like a good reason to give people a safer choice, but we already have abstinence as a choice and not many people take it. Personally, I think it's irrelevant whether marijuana's safer, the cartels have accumulated half a million men and murder six to seven thousand people a year all because we keep marijuana illegal.

It's as ludicrous as making candy illegal - sure theoretically it'd send the "right message" to make people safer, but it'd also encourage millions of us to simply switch to buying our candy from "friends", and it'd encourage criminals to produce and sell candy in order to get rich quick. The harms prohibiting candy would cause would be way out of proportion to any benefit it'd give us. Which is exactly what we've seen with the marijuana prohibition over the last seventy years.

Prohibition is the ideal policy for extremely deadly products with low consumer demand like weapons grade plutonium, but for widely popular products like beer, candy and marijuana it's a big mistake and destroys far more lives than it saves.

sorry to dasappoint you but those are native american hops of the varietal neomexicanus here is a link to pictures from a trip throughout the mountanous west looking for hardy varieties. NCGR-Corvallis Hop Expedition 2002 scroll down and you'll see lots of pics that are deeply lobed like the one you have.

Hey I think you're right eriklupus! Thanks a lot, I've been wondering that since last year.

Do they make good beer?

Sorry to be Off Topic, just this statement gets me a little riled.

Doesn't it say something like alcohol kills 100,000 people every year while marijuana's never killed anybody?

I personally know of one person who went to prison for killing somebody with detectable amounts of THC. The man killed was my brother.

I am not angry with the poster, or anyone who wants to see it legalized.

The fact is laws prosecuting people for driving while intoxicated with alcohol have been on the books for quite a while. Wisconsin’s Operating with a detectable amount of controlled substance law is relatively new, but has been applied and upheld in this case. This nullifies legally and in my eyes the ‘Marijuana never killed anybody’ statement. Maybe THC will never kill anybody from overdose, but it has some of the same destructive potential when mixed with operating.

So just to be clear I am not debating what kills more or the safety of it, it is common knowledge that a large amount of lives are negatively affected by alcohol and tobacco, I am stating Marijuana can negatively impact lives also.

It doesnt look anything remotely relating to hemp.

Well it's no Hibiscus cannabinus, but the leaf structure is arguably closer than that of Potentilla pulcherrima.

I think I've heard about that book Trogdor. Doesn't it say something like alcohol kills 100,000 people every year while marijuana's never killed anybody?

What the book says is: "According to the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, the chronic use of booze is associated with approximately 35,000 deaths per year". It also says that cannabis alone has never directly killed anyone because "in moderate and even heavy doses, cannabinoids are virtually non-toxic to healthy cells and human organs".

It also explains, in 2 pages with 6 references, how "Marijuana intoxication plays, at most, a minor role in traffic injuries."

THE PROBLEM with Wisconsin's law is that it unfairly targets cannabis users by requiring that drivers with "a detectable amount of methamphetamine, gamma-hydroxybutyric acid, or delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol in his or her blood" be assessed additional penalties. NEWS FLASH: delta-9-THC can stay in your blood for up to a month. It's entirely possible that the guy who killed your brother (which is tragic and I'm sorry for your loss) wasn't even under the influence of cannabis at the time and got hosed into a harsher penalty. I don't know the circumstances. Even if he was, drivers who use cannabis and are significantly impaired are aware of their impairment, and if they decide to drive anyway and cause a death, well, there's already a law for that and it's called "negligent vehicular homicide". Would you be as pissed off at opiates if your brother was killed by Granny Arthritis nodding off? Would you be pissed at benadryl if Mr. Seasonal-Allergies drowsied his car into your brother's? Probably, and I'm sorry. Anyway, it's high time we stop legislating responsibility. If the punishment for negligent vehicular homicide isn't enough, then fix that law and leave us responsible cannabis users alone.

The intent of "Marijuana is SAFER" can be summed up pretty well by the following statement from pages 129-130:
"We can do this by explaining how the prohibition of marijuana, a recreational alternative that is less harmful than alcohol, is literally driving Americans to drink. In turn, the widespread - and encouraged - use of alcohol increases the likelihood of domestic abuse, sexual assault, and other forms of violence and is producing serious negative health outcomes, including overdose deaths. In other words, our current laws are perpetuating a society that is demonstrably less safe for our sons and daughters."

Here's 8 different articles on driving & cannabis (from Granny Storm Crow's list - email: [email protected] ):

Abstracts of several studies
Cannabis Research - driving and testing

Cannabis and driving
Cannabis and driving

CANNABIS AND ROAD SAFETY
CANNABIS AND ROAD SAFETY: AN OUTLINE OF THE RESEARCH STUDIES TO EXAMINE THE EFFECTS OF CANNABIS ON DRIVING SKILLS AND ON ACTUAL DRIVING PERFORMANCE

Marijuana And Actual Driving Performance
Marijuana And Actual Driving Performance

Cannabis and Driving: A Scientific and Rational Review
Cannabis and Driving: A Scientific and Rational Review - NORML

Fitness to drive in spite (because) of THC
Unbound MEDLINE | [Fitness to drive in spite (because) of THC] Journal article

Drivers With THC in their Blood Have Only a Small Increased Risk to Cause an Accident
http://bbsnews.net/article.php/20051211175543874

The effect of cannabis compared with alcohol on driving.
Unbound MEDLINE | The effect of cannabis compared with alcohol on driving. Journal article

Hibiscus cannabinus var 'Tainung 2' is just about a dead ringer for a Cannabis sativa/indica hybrid look-a-like.

Back