What type stainless is it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silverbrewer

Reaction score
I own two really sturdy 27 gallon (100 litre) stainless pots with 6 mm thick bottoms, but I have no idea what grade of stainless they are made from. They are reputed to have had lanolin in them (from the cosmetics industry)

They are both with the ex missus at the moment, and have been used to contain horse feed for about ten years. The horse is bloody ancient now, so the lanolin can't be poisonous. When I get them back in a few months, I will be able to do a magnetic comparison with the known 316 stainless parts that I have to hand, but apart from that, I am stumped. How can I find out what grade of stainless they are made from? and, although they look spotlessly clean, what can I do to ensure that all the lanolin has been eradicated?

I would heat the pots while upside down so that whatever lanolin remained could drip out - basically bake it in the oven. Then wash it with Oxyclean or some other brewery cleaner.

Brew up a batch of Horseshoe Pale Ale!

Back