what type of oxyclean

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. Awesome

Reaction score
I see a lot of people use oxyclean to clean their equipment. My question is, what kind? At the grocery store there were two or three different tubs, but they all looked like laundry additives. Is it something that needs to be ordered instead?

oxyclean versatile free, it's a powder that comes in a big tub. i'm sure there are store brands that have the same ingredients, but it's not expensive in any case.

you want the Oxyclean Free stuff...Free of dyes and perfumes.

Its like $7 for like a half gallon sized tub. Mine has a light green lid. it'll say FREE in big letters on the front.

Sometimes they have "Sun Oxygen Cleaner" at the store. I've used that with no problems.

Dominator6 said:
Mine says "Oxyclean, versatile stain remover, Chlorine Free." Is this the wrong kind?

I use Oxyclean Versatile. I made the mistake thinking it was Versatile Free so I came back on here and some others forums and did a bit searching before using it. Turns out quite a few people use the regular Versatile. I've been using it for the last 4 batches and no issues so far. No odors left behind from the oxyclean either. Just be sure to rinse well after cleaning.

This forum got me to really appreciate Oxiclean, and I've been using it more and more for things other than brewing. I love the stuff.

I really hope that if there's a heaven, the inventor of Oxiclean has his own street up there.

I just switched from Oxymagic by Clorox to Oxyclean Versatile Free. Both work great but I have some observations:

1) I think that Oxymagic contains quite a bit more percarbonate than the Oxyclean. This is what you are paying $ for not the fillers.

2) Oxyclean Versatile Free contains a surfactant. This isnt a big deal as it helps with cleaning, however I think that they add it to make up for the lack of bubbles that would be evident from cutting back on the percarbonate. Again the percarbonate should be the meat of the formula.

3) Both work great.:ban:

I had seen an interesting post by BlindlemonLars that he is using straight percarbonate. I may start doing this and adding soda ash as needed to put the pH at 10-11.5 .

I think that companies are reformulating and skimping on the percarbonate to increase their margins.

If I use OxyClean "regular", there's any chance of the fragrance to ruin my beer?

Here at Mexico, I can't find the "Free" version...

I use the stuff with the green lid. Both say chlorine free, green lid is also perfume and dye free.

Back