What type of kegs are these?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just never seen them look like that. What are the two black capped rubber things? Looks like old corny connections capped off or something. Could be that I just don't look for Sankey kegs normally too.

Looks to me as if they took ball lock kegs and converted them.

Sure looks like a welded-in custom insert in place of a standard oval lid, doesn't it?

1595817191248.png

Cheers!

At that point, as a homebrewer wanting to use sanke, you're better off getting one of the sanke kegs with a 6" TC ferrule on top (often used by pros as a yeast brink with or without 1-2 1.5" TC ferrules on the side) instead of a spear, where you can then get a sanke spear with a 6" TC lid on top. Would allow you to manually clean it or at least easily visually verify, without needing a keg washer/spear removal tools.

I haven't looked in a long time but I used to get the shell from ABS Commercial for $99 (not including shipping mind you...)
Yep, price has gone up there substantially.
Thanks for checking! The current price from ABS is still the lowest I can find (other than when the kegmenter is on sale and has free shipping, but that only has the top tri clover port). I appreciate knowing I’m not overlooking a better deal.

Despite what I thought was very thorough searching before, I just now stumbled across two better deals for a 1/2 BBL keg with 4” and 1.5” TC ports:
The Compleat Winemaker has a lower starting cost and shipping to my zip code happens to be about $10 cheaper compared to ABS.
Schaefer Container Systems also had a price including shipping that was lower than ABS’s base price, an extremely fast response to my request for that quote, and multiple sizes of kegs with tri clover ports. Only the 1/2 BBL and 100 liter kegs are available with the 4” TC port, but there are a few variations of the 1/2 BBL available.

(EDIT: on closer look neither is an entirely fair comparison, as it appears the ABS option includes the 4” to 1.5” reducer and may even include the TC clamps, gaskets and end caps. ABS may be willing to sell just the shell for a comparable price to the options above, it would be worth asking)

But I apologize for derailing the thread. Getting back on topic:
Had pictures of the inside sent to me. Thoughts on if these are salvageable? View attachment 691302View attachment 691301
For the asking price I’d certainly be interested in trying! My understanding is tartrates are precipitated tartaric acid so I would expect them to dissolve well in a PBW solution. If that wasn’t enough then line cleaner or another aggressive alkaline solution should take care of it.

Last edited:
I'm picking one up today to see if I can get it clean tonight. Turns out they are from a brewery that went out of business about 6 years ago. They have been sitting since. I'm going to try PBW first but ordered some beer stone remover as back up.

Pbw may not do the job. They probably need a full nitric acid job (and from the looks of it a strong one, if not multiple times). If you have a local brewery you're buddy buddy with, might see if they'd be willing to pop em on their keg washer for you, especially if they're gonna be acid washing kegs anyway.

Despite what I thought was very thorough searching before, I just now stumbled across two better deals for a 1/2 BBL keg with 4” and 1.5” TC ports:
The Compleat Winemaker has a lower starting cost and shipping to my zip code happens to be about $10 cheaper compared to ABS.
Schaefer Container Systems also had a price including shipping that was lower than ABS’s base price, an extremely fast response to my request for that quote, and multiple sizes of kegs with tri clover ports. Only the 1/2 BBL and 100 liter kegs are available with the 4” TC port, but there are a few variations of the 1/2 BBL available.

(EDIT: on closer look neither is an entirely fair comparison, as it appears the ABS option includes the 4” to 1.5” reducer and may even include the TC clamps, gaskets and end caps. ABS may be willing to sell just the shell for a comparable price to the options above, it would be worth asking)

But I apologize for derailing the thread. Getting back on topic:

For the asking price I’d certainly be interested in trying! My understanding is tartrates are precipitated tartaric acid so I would expect them to dissolve well in a PBW solution. If that wasn’t enough then line cleaner or another aggressive alkaline solution should take care of it.

The BYO19 code still works at ABS.

Latest posts

Back