What type of hose do you use in your HERMS?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jared311

Reaction score
I have searched around for awhile and haven't found what I was looking for. I would really like to find a high temp food grade transparent hose. I have only found solid color hoses, but I would really like to be able to see what's happening during transfers and cleaning.

Yuri, how well does that hose resist kinking or collapsing under pump pressure? I made the mistake of ordering some tubing from McMaster that turned out to be way too soft, and is essentially useless. Need to replace before next brew day, and I'd rather not make the same mistake twice :)

I used the 1/2" silicone hose from B3. I don't know about the hose from AHS, but the hose from B3 is 1/8" thick walled. If you look at the same hose from US Plastic it is more both AHS and B3. (They are the same price from both homebrew shops.)

To bring up an old post.

Anyone using 3/4 ID hoses? Found foodgrade pvc to collapse. Wonder if 3/4 silicone will collapse or not.

Only [local] option I have found that is rated for boil temps is solid color hose used for pumping hot cooking oil and it ain't cheap!

PVC/Vinyl tubing available locally may hold up for a while but it is likely leaching into hot liquids. What I'd suggest is dropping a 2" section of it in some boiling water and letting it sit for 10 minutes. Cool the water in the fridge and drink it. If you don't like the taste, I'd skip that.

If money were no object or you were a savvy ebayer, the best stuff would be reinforced silicone. There are some 5/8, 7/8, and 1" ID rolls of it on Ebay right now for about $2 a foot.

I use 1/8" wall silicone and it's fine. 1/2" ID, 3/4" OD and I got it from USplastics when they had a free shipping promotion. B3 and AHS have the same stuff.

I might have to drop back down to 1/2" then. Most of the 3/4" stuff looks like it would collapse. I'll take a look at that reinforced silicone. Hard to tell without being to actually see it though.

Anyone using 3/4"?

Back