What type of fridge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hinke

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a chest that can fit two 5 gallon carboys, so I need more fermentation space + my back is hurting from lifting the carboys in and out.

A friend of mine will give me his fridge for free, but it is a side by side fridge. Are there any things to think about when it comes to choosing a fridge as a fermentation chamber? How will the johnson controller work with a fridge/freezer combination unit? I think the fridge section is pretty narrow, so I will have to have one carboy at the bottom, and the other one on top.

Any advice?

Thanks.

I don't think a side by side is a good choice. My ferments can get messy with blow of and stacking fermenters does not sound like a great way to go. Most standard fridges with the freezer on top can hold 2 carboys. Mine is a smallish standard fridge and it holds 2 better bottles with room to spare.

The controller should work fine in any fridge. At fermentation temps don't expect to use the freezer portion for anything.

The best controller is the dual output digital Ranco. With the dual output you can cool and heat. Basically you can dial in any temp you desire and hold the fermentation within 1 degree of that setting. It's the ultimate in control.

Do you know what the cubic feet size of the standard fridge is? Or inside measurements? I just want to make sure I can fit 2 carboys in there. Not sure if you are using larger than 5 gallon carboys.

I don't know the size of mine. It's small and old. Smaller then the ones they make these days. BUT... use a tape measure.

The best fridge is the fridge that is free. Anything will work when the price is right - this is afterall a hoby not a job :D

The best fridge is the fridge that is free. Anything will work when the price is right - this is afterall a hoby not a job :D

agreed free is best. if you can't get free then have a look at craigslist. I have scored several older ones in the 30.00 range. They may have a touch of rust but as long as they work, who cares.

i took it VERY slow to be sure but typically not. there could be some wires to the thermostat or other sensors.

In mine, which was from 2005, there were some wires at the top in the insulation to the ice maker, infared sensor for the door and then a "pipe" that brought air from the freezer to a crisper bin based on the setting of it.

It was tedious but seems to be well worth it. Coils are almost always on the back wall of the freezer. I have never ever seen it any other way ON A SIDE BY SIDE unit.

Take is slow and get after it. I am going on vacation so my project will be stalled for about 2 more weeks :( so upset.

Back