What type of fermenter do you use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petrostar

Reaction score
The question is as basic as it sounds, I personally own a large quantity of glass five and six and a half gallon carboys but hate cleaning them because I do a lot of dry hopped beers. I also feel that six and a half gallon plastic buckets are much easier to clean, cost less, and are just easier to store in general. Curious what you long term Brewers have gone with. I've been brewing for several years now and have never once had an infection with any of my beers except for one beer that I did with all glass carboys so please don't bring that up, I don't believe its a real issue if proper sanitation is being used every time.

I've been brewing for 2 1/2 years and love the buckets. Easy to clean and store, plus they are lighter than glass, and won't hurt nearly as bad if I drop it as I won't have glass cuts too.

I switched to plastic a year or 2 ago after reading all the horror stories. Do not want to debate which is better. If you do buy any plastic ones, buy the vintage shop ones, they rack off way quicker and are easier to clean. Have less parts and are cheaper.

A good friend of mine severed his femoral artery when he dropped a glass carboy he just finished washing. So, while there can be a valid debate on whether glass or plastic is better, there is no debate as to which is safer. I still use a couple of ale pales that I got when I first started brewing, but only when my Better Bottles are taken.

I currently use glass carboys, but I feel that I've escaped fate thus far, so I just bought my first bucket! It's an 8 gallon bucket that'll be here on Monday, just in time for 7.5 gallons of oaked mild.

I use a Speidel plastic fermentor.
I used to use glass and had heard horror stories about plastic, but never heard one first hand only from guys wanting me to buy expensive glass.
well after a few broken carboys, and the frustration of trying to clean them
I switched, and will never look back
guess what, if I break a glass carboy I break 35 bucks and ruin a batch
if I get an infection I ruin a 6 dollar bucket and ruin a batch
hummm, guess all those years of glass made no sense.

For beer (pre hopped canned kit, partial mash, all grain) I use my Cooper's DIY fermenter. It's the setup that got me started in brewing and it still works fine.

For wine I have a 30 litre plastic bucket/lid (no airlock required) for primary fermentation and bottling. For secondary I have a 23 litre better bottle and a 23 litre glass carboy.

I use only plastic now except if I ever to a long secondary for a high alcohol brew. I have a 15 gal demijohn for that.

15 years of active brewing (out of 20 years) and never an infection. I tend to 10-11 gallon batches so in the past that meant a 15 gallon former LME barrel but now that I brew in the detached garage and ferment in the basement...down 12 stairs, I split the batch into two 7 gallon buckets for easier carrying.

1/2 bbl Sanke keg with the stem removed. Greatest fermenter ever!!

Good ol' Bucket

Glass carboys are like driving cars without seatbelts

I've been brewing almost a year--not long term but have done 21 batches so far.

I use icing buckets from a local grocery store for small batches, 6 gallon buckets and a Spidel fermenter (LOVE it!!) for my large batches.

Buckets are easy to clean, easy to store, and cheap. Heck, the icing buckets are actually free! Never had any issues with off flavors either. Took second place in a local competition with a hefeweizen fermented in an icing bucket.

Never have used glass, never plan to.

I have glass and better bottle carboys but i rarely use them anymore. I brew mostly ipa and find dealing with dry hops to be much easier when using buckets so I rarely use anything else.

1/2 bbl Sanke keg with the stem removed. Greatest fermenter ever!!

I use one of Sabco's original sanke/cornie fermenters. Works like a champ (bought them off craigslist for $60 each)...

Sabco Fermenter.jpg

I keep about 6 bottling buckets on hand that I have been using as fermenters over the past several years. Like not having to siphon. I have a couple class carboys and a couple better bottles that I use for sours. Also, just ordered 2 stainless steel buckets that should be here next week...

i have three 6 gal glass carboys and three 5 gal carboys all of which i bought in 94

I use mostly my 6.5 gal glass CB

I would use better bottles but i just wish they had that extra half gallon.

I use ale pails also. I know that the glass are dangerous. I wont lie, but I am always extremely careful with it.

I have a bucket, 4) six gallon better bottles, a 5 gallon better bottle and a couple of 3 gallon water bottles. I prefer the better bottles. I find then even easier to clean than the bucket. Soak overnight with Oxyclean, rinse well put a washcloth inside and swish around. Rinse and stow. The longest time spent is filling it with the water and Oxyclean, after siphoning it out it takes maybe 10 minutes to finish.

6.5 gallon buckets with spigots installed to make getting a hydro sample a breeze. I lager/age in corny kegs.

I brew in my garage (cause that's where my 240V spa panel receptacle is), but my fermenter chamber and lagering freezer are both down a flight of concrete stairs into the basement. No way that I'll ever chance lugging a full glass carboy down them.

I prefer glass. I'm still making half batches in 3 gallon carboys though. When I find a better heating solution than my current stove, I guess I'll suck it up and buy some buckets. I cant imagine moving a 5+ gallon glass carboy, up and down the stairs

Stainless steel all the way. I use 7.5 and 13 gallon former kegs for 5 and 10 gallon batches respectively. I am even planning to ferment my 3 gallon batches in cornys. The best of all worlds.

I have a few plastic buckets, and a couple of 1 gallon glass bottles for my small batch fermenting. (Mostly mead at this point).

I use one of Sabco's original sanke/cornie fermenters. Works like a champ (bought them off craigslist for $60 each)...

Hmmm....are you in or near Portland? I saw two posted on CL a month or so ago. I was too slow :-( such a good deal....

I ferment under pressure in 1/4 kegs with my cheap sankey keg conversion kit to force transfer. Works like a charm

I sold all my glass

image.jpg

For my first batch I used a 7 gallon (?) bucket. My next 10 were in a 6.5 gallon glass carboy. I use my brew hauler to bring it down to my basement, so say a little prayer for me ;)

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Home Brew mobile app

Hmmm....are you in or near Portland? I saw two posted on CL a month or so ago. I was too slow :-( such a good deal....

I ferment under pressure in 1/4 kegs with my cheap sankey keg conversion kit to force transfer. Works like a charm

I sold all my glass

Yes, those were the ones on Portland CL! I snatched those babies up faster than you could have said convoluted crossflow chiller...

They are in perfect condition. They will polish up real nice.

Where are you finding 13 gallon import kegs? Just curious.

Had a family friend who worked for a large distributor in LA and he would give us all of the kegs that were returned to them that weren't theirs... It was a good gig while it lasted.

Leave the stem in! Check out https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/closed-system-pressurized-fermentation-technique-44344/

I brew in keggles so I typically do 13-ish gallon batches. I serve from 1/4 and 1/6th bbls and that gives me 1 of each per brew.

I also have glass carboys/jugs and some nice used sodium hydroxide containers that work great.

Or check put my sankey fermenter build (link in my sig) it was cheap and works awesome...I'd never go back to anything else.

Latest posts

Back