What to use a new oak barrel for?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcflyfisher

Reaction score
I have been invited by a cooper to build a barrel in his shop. The geek factor alone made me say yes. I haven't built the barrel yet, so I don't know just how big it will be. It will be toasted to my specification. I have read a few oak barrel posts, and it is my understanding that most brewers that use barrels use them to secondary. They also only use used barrels from distillers, and vintners.
I have made a few kit wines and a few other adventurous fermentations that you could call wine. I make cider. I make ginger ale. I make a lot of beer. What would you do with a new oak barrel?

I'd do an imperial stout or english barleywine the first time, but check it pretty regularly because I'm guessing the oak will come on strong pretty quickly with a fresh barrel. Never made any true wine, but seems like that would be good. Definitely turn it into a sour barrel once the oak character has left it though.

I wonder how much beer I can put through a barrel before the oak character is spent. This seems like it might be a real commitment in regards to brewing as I will to be sure the keep a heavy enough beer in my brewing schedule to keep the barrel full all the time. I like this challenge.

I wonder how much beer I can put through a barrel before the oak character is spent. This seems like it might be a real commitment in regards to brewing as I will to be sure the keep a heavy enough beer in my brewing schedule to keep the barrel full all the time. I like this challenge.

All depends how big of a barrel it is I suppose.

Back