What to make with these ingredients

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

k1v1116

Reaction score
Its been 6 months since I last brewed due to other stuff happening.
I'm looking for recipes ideas for a 5 gallon batch.
I have the following malts, hops, yeasts:

YEASTS -
1098 british ale
3638 Bavarian wt
wlp028 Edinburgh
wlp833 german bock
wlp023 burton ale
wlp380 hefe IV
wlp002 english ale
wlp099 high gravity
wlp029 kolsch

HOPS -
marinka 1oz
cascade 1oz
kent goldings 4oz
simcoe 1oz
glacier 1oz
palisade 1oz

MALTS -
2row 15lb
peat smoked 1/2lb
white wheat 5lb
roast barley 1/2lb
german pils 3lb
munich 2lb
biscuit 1/2lb
aromatic 1/2lb
carafa III 1/2lb

How about an Americanized strong scottish ale? You could use 2-row and munich for the base, throw in some some peat-smoked and a brush of wheat and roast barley. Some aromatic or biscuit and maybe some carafa III could also go in. Ferment with wlp 028. East Kent Goldings.

You could also do a dunkelweizen. Use the wheat and german pils as base, throw in some munich and roast barley, maybe some biscuit. Use 3538. Glacier hops.

That could be good. You've got the ingredients for a good amber as well. Pale malt for base, pound of munich or so plus some biscuit, add in a little carafa for color. Any of the British or American yeasts would be good with this, and hop as you like; maybe palisade to bitter along with goldings & glacier as late additions. In a month or two this could be a nice early spring beer.

So I came up with two recipes, I would like to make the kolsch (I have a lot of other beers bottled but everything is high abv. dark and full bodied) but I dont have the ideal hops for it. Help me choose / modify the recipes.

Kolsch
3.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 35.29 %
3.00 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 35.29 %
1.50 lb White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 17.65 %
1.00 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 11.76 %
0.50 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (60 min) Hops 22.2 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (30 min) Hops 7.2 IBU
1 Pkgs German Ale/Kolsch (White Labs #WLP029) Yeast-Ale

Amber
8.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 85.29 %
1.00 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 10.66 %
0.25 lb Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) Grain 2.67 %
0.13 lb Carafa III (525.0 SRM) Grain 1.39 %
1.00 oz Palisade [8.00 %] (60 min) Hops 26.6 IBU
0.50 oz Glacier [5.60 %] (10 min)
1 Pkgs English Ale (White Labs #WLP002) Yeast-Ale

Both recipes look like they'd be pretty tasty. If you want the kölsch to be true to form, you might want to tone down on, or drop altogether, the munich, to get the right color and flavor profile. Still, you're supposed to be brewing what you like to drink, so if the extra malty something is up your alley, keep it! It will definitely make this is slightly more malty and substantial beer. In fact, now that I think of it, your kölch recipe is very close to one of my mainstays (I call it a blond ale, and really, these beers are all fairly well alike), and it's a great, refreshing warm weather beer. Excellent for porch sipping (and sometimes gulping) when it's hot. The biggest difference is I use Sterling, Perle, and/or Crystal hops, as that's usually what I have on hand.

The amber looks good, too. It will be kind of like a slightly more substantial pale ale as drafted. You could boost the munich of you want a bit more "oomph" to make it distinctly amber and malty. That's how I like mine, but you may want it otherwise.

Look, any way you try this, it'll be good. What I'd suggest, now that I look what you have on have again, is to put all the munich in the amber, subbing base malts with each to keep your original OGs the same. That way, you'll end up with two fairly different beers, so you can drink whatever you're in the mood for. The kölsch will be light and refreshing, the amber will be a bit more chewy and substantial (not that it will be sweet or anything, just different from the other). As you've drawn them up now, the only downside I can see is that they'll be fairly similar in flavor, if not color and such. Whatever you decide, good luck and happy brewing!

0.5 lbs of Roast Barley
0.5 lbs Carafa III
0.5 lbs Biscuit
1 lbs Munich (not necessary, but why not).
2-Row to get about 1.055

EKG for bittering, about 35 IBUs.
0.5 oz EKG @ 15
0.5 oz EKG @ 8
0.5 oz EKG @ 0

Back