What to make for my first all grain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

underwaterdan

Reaction score
I am sure there are tons of thoughs on this but I am looking to order my first all grain and wanted to know if anyone had suggestions on what to brew first. I currently have austin home brews bluemoon clone in my primary, I was thinking of keeping that yeast cake and putting my all grain on top of that, but thats not set in stone. What are your thoughts?

Anything with a small grain bill and an easy (single infusion) mash schedule. I started with a simple Guinness clone, and it turned out great.

yeah pick something with a single mash temp. That's really the only thing you need to keep it simple. I wouldn't say Grain bill size would matter. As long as it fits in your mashtun.

I agree... Follow the KISS theorem.

I started with an ESB, since it's a style I like and straightforward to brew. Additionally, having done extract ESBs before, I knew what to expect from the yeast, hops, and specialty grains. That left only one variable (albeit a large one): the mash.

My first effort was drinkable but not perfect. With slight modifications to the process and recipe, I was able to get what I wanted as of the second time I brewed the recipe, and have repeated it +/- 0.02 on my OG and FG numerous times since. It also has a nice consistent taste...

Do you have a favorite PM or extract recipe? Plug it into BrewSmith and convert to all-grain. That way, you have a basis for comparison.

I agree you should keep it simple. Don't make some whacky beer with 8 different grains and a bunch of adjuncts in it. If it turns out bad or weird you don't want to be sitting there trying to figure out if it was your brewing process or your recipe that caused it.

I personally went for a simple American Pale Ale.

I agree with going easy, a hefeweizen could be trouble with a stuck sparge. I would go the pale ale or ESB route.

Good advice about a single infusion mash...I am assuming a batch sparge to go along with that too.

I did an Irish Red ale, which had a middling simple grain bill.

I wanted to compare it to my extract/partial mash Irish Reds. The result came out cleaner tasting and didn't last too long. I think we won a big rivalry game in football the day I popped the top of the first one and big wins like that are always hell on my batches.

That got the brewhouse back into the driveway the next morning.

I vote for Lil Sparkie's Nut Brown Ale. Fast turn around with a great beer!

I strongly suggest a pale (English or American). These give you a ton of lee way and are straightforward for the most part. Ed's Haus Ale is good. I have brewed it and will likely do so again.

Prepare to brew something with a bit higher gravity, then measure before you start the boil and adapt/rebalance from there.

After making a lot of medium-high gravity extract brews (~6-8%) I wanted to make some medium-low gravity (4-5%abv) beer in my first two all grain batches (I now have a kegerator, and I tell you, 8% beer on tap in your living room is not a good idea). Botched the sparging horribly in both cases, and ended up with ~50% efficiency (was shooting for 75%). If I were brewing something heavier I could have just cut a bit on the hops on the recipe, adapted, and still come out with something decent. But since I was aiming low, in both cases I ended up with what would amount to <1.030 post boil, and basically had to top off with extract to avoid ending up with Bud Lite.

Stout or Porter I have found to be the most forgiving when trying to nail down your system. Avoid anything with "flaked" in it because of stuck sparge. Just my .02

I would also recommend the Haus Pale. Not only is it simple, and good, it is also CHEAP.
How often do you get all 3?
-Ben

Not only is it simple, and good, it is also CHEAP.
How often do you get all 3?
-Ben

Oh, it's not hard to get those three things together. I'm simple, and good, and cheap.

Wait, what? :confused:

I made an IPA for my first AG because it's my most favoritist beer style. My suggestion is to make whatever you want that will be your favorite beer. Most ales have relatively simple mashes, or at least can have just a single infusion. So, if you love porters, make a porter! If you love IPAs, make an IPA. Unless you choose a double decocted Vienna lager, the procedure will be exactly the same in most of the AG recipes so choose what you love.

Back