What to look for in a CO2 tank and regulator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

phredt

I have my first brew just about ready to bottle. I plan to eventually get into kegging and I have a chance to pick up a kegerator for a good price. It includes a CO2 tank and regulator. Is there anything specific I should be looking for in terms of the tank and regulator? Are they all pretty standard? Thanks.

Consider you may end up having to swap your tank with a filled one, don't get too invested in it.

But, make sure the tank has a valid test date stamped on it, and if the latest test has expired (5 years, iirc) get yourself a discount on the price of the tank.

You'd likely still be able to get an expired tank swapped, but in some cases it might add a test fee to the swap price.

For the regulator, I guess you should make sure you can hook it up to the tank, make sure the gauge(s) work, and adjust the pressure from 0 psi to at least 50 psi and have it stay put wherever you set it...

Cheers!

Fairly standard. You should look at the date stamped on the co2 tank for the last time it was certified. The regulator should be clean but they are easy to dismantle. Probably worth replacing the beer lines

First thing is call your local gas supplier (welding supplies) and ask them which tanks they will take, which ones they won't (if any) and if they care about the hydro date.
In my area, Central welding will take any tank not on rent (where they own them, and just rent them out). They will take those too if you can prove you are the renter, but if you're not the renter, and you come in saying you just bought it off craigslist, they will take it assuming it was stolen.
They will also accept out-of-date tanks... they give you a nice new one, and send yours in for re-hydro at no charge.
In my area you can get a 5 lb tank off craigslist for ~$30, or a 10 lb for about $50.
fills are $13 for 5 lbs, and $18 for 10 lbs.
I originally bought a 5 lb for $25, and took it in and upgraded to a 10 lb (full) for $35, so that means I got a full 10 lb for $60. It was a brand new bottle.
If I was to just walk in and buy a full 10 lb, it would have been $100.
Craigslist is your friend, but they go quick. Good luck.

Back