what to expect

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewn4fun

Reaction score
I just finished my third brew a Irish Red Elmer kit with grains. My question is I put grains in @ 170 for 20 min. Directions called for 20 min between 155-146. I did a second 20 @ correct temp and then rinsed with 1 gallon of 170 water. This I did as full boil and hit my SG. What can I expect taste or color wise?

Yeah I'm with Unionrdr you're probably going to get some tannins that's a little too hot for the steep.

Was this AG or Mini-Mash?

Obviously if it's mini-mash, it will be less noticeable. An Irish Red is more forgiving than some but not as forgiving as say a stout or porter.

Expect: You will get good beer, but you'll always be wondering how much better it would have been had you gotten the steep temps right the first time. An excellent learning experience, as you can do it again the proper way and see the difference!

Thanks for the reply's. I should've pulled the grains when temp didn't drop. I usually learn a lot from my mistakes so live and learn.

Back