What to expect in taste or body change in finishing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grimes28

Reaction score
I'm new to all this and just tasted my batch of red ale I screwed up. Lol it's been in fermentation for 4 days and is pretty much done. Pretty much quit bubbling and is at 1.012.
My question is, what do I expect it to do Orr change throughout the finishing or carbonation process. Anyone have any thoughts on this, or is this one of those "depends on recipe" questions?
Just looking for a general idea response.
Thanks guys!!

I would leave it for at least another ten days. During these next ten days the yeast will clean after themselves, after which many cells will go dormant and drop out of suspension, clarifying your brew. Then, if your recipe doesn't require any dry hopping you can test the gravity, make sure it hasn't changed (or changed much) and if it hasn't you can bottle and allow to condition for at least another two weeks to fully carbonate.

Here is a good explanation of the process:

http://morebeer.com/articles/conditioning

I just had a beer with the same experience... my first brew. A belgian wit... after racking I took a sample to taste and it tasted like a watery blue moon. Really hoping the carbonation helps give it body!

I'm not exactly sure what you are claiming you screwed up on. 4 days is probably too early to declare fermentation is done (unless gravity readings have been 1.012 for several days, which would be a 24-36hr ferment) also the difference between a few final gravity points is not that significant, so don't sweat it (you should still end up with very good beer).

While I will say that in general 4 days is to soon to end the fermentation/conditioning phase, I don't subscribe to the more time is better belief. It's ready when it's ready. If it tastes good, its ready (assuming fermentation has stopped). That may be after 10 days or it may after 10 weeks, but once it is "ready" it really doesn't change significantly (not counting carbonation).

You have stated that it does not taste "weird" so my advice would be to take gravity readings for the next 2 days, tasting it each day, to make sure fermentation has stopped. If fermentation is completed, either bottle it and let it carb, or let it sit a week or two sampling it periodically to learn what the effect is. RDWHAHB.

I don't even open my fermentation bucket until it's been 3 weeks.

Don't get hung up on measuring and monitoring things - pitch enough yeast, control fermentation temperature, give it time to work.

Bubbles don't mean anything. Primary fermentation may be done in only a few days, but the yeast isn't done doing it's job.

Give it 3 or 4 weeks in primary, then bottle or keg.

Thanks for the responses!! I transferred it into a secondary today after two weeks in the primary. First time I've seen beer in glass. The gravity is 1.085 but its still active, tiny bubbles working to the top and a few yeast rafts.
I brewed another beer like a day after my mead beer, I put that in a secondary at the same time. There is no bubbles there.
Evidentially the honey slowed things down??
I really appreciate hearing all your advice everyone! It's great to talk about beer and mead. Lol
Cheers!!
I'm now thinking bout a batch of mead and cider. You'd think I'd get a better handle on one type of brew making before I move on to the other. Not my style.. Lol.

I just had a beer with the same experience... my first brew. A belgian wit... after racking I took a sample to taste and it tasted like a watery blue moon. Really hoping the carbonation helps give it body!

Let me know how it turns out!! :)

Latest posts

Back