Quantcast

What to expect from Rye Malt ?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

MikeinCT

Reaction score
First time experimenting with rye malt addition. I have added 1/2 pound to my 11 pound grist. Hit all my numbers and generally happy with this batch. But after tasting the fermented wort it seems a bit sweeter than normal.

So those that have used rye malt additions before. Does it add a certain sweetness? This is the opposite of saying that it subtracts some of the hops bitterness from the batch. Which I also seem to sense.

Comments please, thanks ...Mike

Genjin

Reaction score
Rye has a distinctive taste. To me it is kind a dry and spicy character. If it is used at 15% or more of the total grist, it really plays a big part in the beer. At half a pound it will probably be very subtle but might help with head in the same way that wheat does.

jonmohno

Banned
Reaction score
No,not really,its probably that you used 11.5 # malt which is going to give it a pretty good size gravity.More malt=sweeter tasting wort=more malt sugars.Didnt see the "fermented" part. Till just now. What was the final gravity?.Depends on the attenuation of the type of yeast used.Some hops can give off a sweetness also.

beergolf

Reaction score
Rye does have a somewhat spicy flavor. I like about 20% rye in an Rye PA.

In fact I am just finishing up my mash for a RyePA right now. One of my favorite brews that I always try to have some around.

OP
M

MikeinCT

Reaction score
I make this recipe a lot. Without the rye malt. It is 9 lbs MO, 1 LB cara red, 1 lb #40 crystal. I add 1.25 oz centennial for 1 hr and then 1 oz cascade for 15 minutes and 0.5 oz cascade for 5 minutes. Yeast is either Safale 04 or 05.

My OG was 1.060 and the FG about 1.013.

So this time I added the rye and at first taste it seems a bit sweater. But I am not giving it a fair chance. I am just tasting the fermented wort (which I do all the time.). But in a month I will try a conditioned bottle and decide.

thanks guys, Mike

Genjin

Reaction score
I would think that the sweetness is much more likely coming from the 2# of crystal malt. I have never used that much as I like dryer beers, but I imagine that you would have a decent amount of residual sweetness from 18% crystal.

rico567

Reaction score
Rye does have a somewhat spicy flavor. I like about 20% rye in an Rye PA.

In fact I am just finishing up my mash for a RyePA right now. One of my favorite brews that I always try to have some around.
I have made roggenbiers, but this is my favorite application for rye. I keep some of Ed Wort's BCB Rye IPA (see recipes section) on my shelves year-round.

Coiz

Reaction score
I would also classify rye as spicy and not sweet. A half pound in that recipe should be enough to make it's presence known without being too overpowering.

pjj2ba

Look under the recliner
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Rye can add a noticeable "slickness" to the body. Perhaps this is being interpreted as "sweetness". As other mentioned, it definitely lends a spicy note.

OP
M

MikeinCT

Reaction score
Many thanks for the insight. Nice thing about this hobby is that there is much to learn. I have to keep my only fermenter busy so next weekend is another batch. Will continue to add the rye and maybe a little less crystal.

Mike

rjwhite41

Reaction score
I have made roggenbiers, but this is my favorite application for rye. I keep some of Ed Wort's BCB Rye IPA (see recipes section) on my shelves year-round.
How would you describe a roggenbier? Are there any commericially available that you would recommend? It's one of the few beers I haven't tried and I've been very interested in rye lately.

dcott

Reaction score
Rye tastes like a sweaty, spicy, gooey jockstrap to me.

It's one reason I never brew with it anymore. That experimentation phase is over for me.