What to expect from 3 lbs DME instead of 2.2?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roxy35

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm brewing a Munton's Connoisseur Export Stout this weekend and I'm trying to get advice on what to expect. The instructions call for 1kg of sugar - well I'm substituting DME. However, I have 3 - 1lb. bags.

What can I expect my stout to be like if I add 3 lbs instead of the recommended 2.2 lbs? Would anyone recommend adding all of it, or saving the extra .8lb to add to a future brew?

Thanks!

I think you will be fine. just slightly higher abv. mabye a little more malty.
I've done it a couple of times. use some good yeast

Yep, you'll have a higher ABV.

You could always save that extra DME for starters too. It's always handy to have a little DME sitting around. If you do save it, just keep it dry and seal it up tightly. Cheers!

I've been using 3lb bags of plain DME in my recipes. Half in the boil for hop additions,the other half at flame out with all the LME.
It is a little more malty,but hop additions can make that what you will. More color too,but again depending on what color DME you use of course. More mouth feel & better flavor complexities,imo. Plus more ABV,depending on how much is used. A Cooper's can & 3lbs of DME will get me 4.8-5.9%ABV,depending on other recipe consituents.

Hello,

I'm brewing a Munton's Connoisseur Export Stout this weekend and I'm trying to get advice on what to expect. The instructions call for 1kg of sugar - well I'm substituting DME. However, I have 3 - 1lb. bags.

What can I expect my stout to be like if I add 3 lbs instead of the recommended 2.2 lbs? Would anyone recommend adding all of it, or saving the extra .8lb to add to a future brew?

Thanks!

An increase in ABV of about 0.6%.

unionrdr said:
I've been using 3lb bags of plain DME in my recipes. Half in the boil for hop additions,the other half at flame out with all the LME.
It is a little more malty,but hop additions can make that what you will. More color too,but again depending on what color DME you use of course. More mouth feel & better flavor complexities,imo. Plus more ABV,depending on how much is used. A Cooper's can & 3lbs of DME will get me 4.8-5.9%ABV,depending on other recipe consituents.

Is abv per a 5 gallon batch?

Also, should i stick with the Muntons yeast or substitute it for sa05? I have two packs of 05 available.

The ABV% listed is for the intended batch size of 23L,or 6.072 USG. 19L would be 5.016 USG,for example. As I said,my 23L is with 1 cooper's can (or munton's,etc) which are 1.5-1.7kg,& 3lb bag of Munton's plain DME & hops. I use the cooper's ABV formula of; (OG-FG)/7.46 + .5= ABV%. There are some 6-8 different formulas out their that I've seen listed on here,& each gives a different answer. Cooper's seems to be a bit higher than the rest. But feels right to me,after having drank so many different ABV beers over the years. The US-05 woyld be a good choice,clean fermenting yeast.

I should probably start a new thread, but does anyone have experience with the Munton's Connoisseur Kit Yeast? Debating whether to use this or swamp for 05. Any advice would be appreciated.

Back